Sunday, November 15, 2009

"Lingering" (formerly known as The Pause)

This is a study. I really like a lot about it...but as always I will look at it again after a day or so and decide then whether or not to develop it further. I might tighten this up or paint it again with some changes. It has possibilities. I think what I like about it is that it seems romantic, but not overly schmaltzy. Do you agree?


Oil on 9 x 12 canvas panel

(In additional news...Yesterday I participated in Katharine Cartwright's Twenty minute challenge. Fun! You might want to see about joining in too. Here is the link: Twenty minute challenge).

P.S. This painting now has it's third title! First it was called "Windswept", but there is not enough evidence of wind..so then it was called "The Pause" ..(but pointed out to me that "The Pause" seems like a reference to menopause...ugh!). Finally, I have landed on the title "Lingering". Will this title stick?

8 comments:

ArtSparker said...

It has a narrative feel, I think - that is, I wonder what the book would be about.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

There's a weariness about that figure's pose that is very interesting!

Kathy said...

Celeste, You have such an expressive style and I love your brushwork! You captured an effective pose, but it doesn't match the title "Windswept." I don't get a sense of the wind because you created static vertical and horizontal lines, and her skirt and hair appear to be motionless. Is that intentional? I'm a great admirer of your work, so I'm wondering if I've missed the underlying meaning here. :)

Caio Fernandes said...

haaa... Celeste !! stop to humiliate other painters !!
you show a wonderful work like this one and say : " this is just a study " . hahahh!!
this is incredible . and as all good work , yes , it has infinite possibilitys .
Susan artsparker is right , it has a narrative feel . even so i believe the pictoric values are strong enough to get more important that the subject . well ... at least for me this is great , is what matters at the end .
lovely one .
it is a fantastic way to start a week . thank you !!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Artspark, Kvan, Kathy and Caio. Appreciate your comments. You are right, Kathy, she wasn't windy enough looking for the title, so I changed it! Thanks for pointing that out. I guess I had her hair "flying" more, but reigned that in. I forgot that I had!

Kathy said...

Oh ... "The Pause" really works! and, on so many different levels.

Serge Cornillet said...

Hello,

Good paintings, I like this kind of sensiblity you get with your pincels.

Thanks and I'll follow you.

Bye

Claudia Finn said...

I love figures painted with much left unpainted and unspoken~~so well done!!