Monday, December 7, 2009

end of day cat painted with end of the palette paints

I confess..I let my paints get pretty dried out. I managed to scrape together enough paint to scratch out this cat from a photo reference. I was reluctant to put out new paint for some inexplicable reason. Perhaps it was economy driving me.
And you know, painting cats is much harder than it should be. They have such delicate stubby little faces and it does not take much at all to have them wind up looking like foxes or dogs. One false move and you'll have a canine instead of a feline. This is painted over a bad painting of a woman who looked more like the actor Ben Gazzara than a woman. Painting can be an altogether very funny business.

10 comments:

indigomar said...

ooooh, just beautiful!
and so true about cats--shape shifters.

ArtSparker said...

Wonderfully alert-looking animal. I will send my friend Beatrice over here.

I'm sort of mulling over what you said about the paints. It could be...that feeling of having completion, no loose ends. It can be a useful and pleasant illusion.

rob ijbema said...

this is delightful celeste
so sensitive love the suggested details and funky colors

Caio Fernandes said...

what you did with these colors ..... no words .
yes , cats are tricky for painting , they have their details and sutil ellegance .
wow , what a painting !!

Kathy said...

Oooo... lovely! I like what you do with color.

-Don said...

I agree with everyone else's input on this and would add that I can almost feel the flick of the cat's tail. Nice job suggesting motion with the subtle blurring of the tip of the tail and the curved brush strokes that occur only near the tail. Great job! -Don

Sandy said...

Been ages since we've visited. Love the cat, reminds me of one I had many years ago.

Hope all is well with you.

Doing some blog visiting from older posts when I hit on your name and wondered what you were up to.

Sandy

TJ said...

Love your cat painting. Have you ever noticed that a cat's look (as the one you have painted) is often questioning. They have an attitude. Dogs don't approach with a questioning gaze! Anyway, great use of end-of-the-palette paint!

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

actually the shape of the head is just perfect and I love the looseness of the brushstrokes!

justdoodleit said...

Super! Love how you've managed to light the image with the limited colors.