Monday, December 28, 2009

My day was good...how was yours??


Today I drove to the Columbia Art Gallery in Hood River. The trip to Hood River is always beautiful...it looked extra wintery during the late morning and the Gorge looked like Canada. The Gallery is being readied for the next show (Drawing for Drawing sake). I'm looking forward to seeing that exhibit, my painting friend Todd Smith is participating.
Great News!....I learned that two of my paintings were SOLD in the Columbia Art Gallery Small Works show (thank you Columbia Art Gallery and painting purchasers)!

When I got back home I searched for a painting to paint over. You know, I really enjoy sanding down an old painting and painting a new one over it. Half the fun of it is finding some horrible old painting to "get rid of." It's liberating! I found this copy (below) that I painted a couple of years ago of Mary Cassatt's "Girl in a Straw Hat." (Really...what am I supposed to do with this thing!?) I had my sandpaper poised to sand her ..when she turned her little sad sack eyes on me. I guess I will have to find a different painting to obliterate. I just couldn't do it. Looking at it now I realize that her only crime is not enough temperature variety--(it's too golden), but I nailed her little sad expression...enough so that she got this reprieve. By the way, did you know that Mary Cassatt was a cousin of Robert Henri? I just discovered that.
P.S. I have also discovered a very cool blog for those of us who love the masters (and sometimes paint from a master painting) ..I submitted my Sargent copy for inclusion in "Challenge Nine"--there is still time for you to submit too (up to January 13). http://followingthemasters.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Janelle Goodwin said...

Congrats on the sale of your paintings, Celeste! As artists, we need that boost of confirmation once in a while. I know I do. I'm so glad you didn't paint over your little girl. She's precious!

Honor Martinez said...

Those eyes do really have a sadness to them. Thanks for mentioning sanding before repainting, I hadn't thought of that. Congratulations on selling, I agree with Janelle, it is a boost of confirmation.

becky joy said...

Congratulations on the sales. I hadn't thought of it as liberating to paint over old one, but yes, that's a good description

ArtSparker said...

The brushwork on this is lovely, I particularly like the dress.

Gary Keimig said...

Congratulations on the sales. I do hope you and yours had a very Merry Christmas and that next year God's blessings will overflow your home and family.
PAINT ON.

Caio Fernandes said...

hi Celeste !
congratulations by the paintings that were sold .
lucky ones the people that have the works in their houses now !!

your history about the little girl ... is really touching. when the works start to have an independent life and we lose the courage to "kill then" .... just wishing to improve and give a "better life" to it .... is a sign that painting is a important part of our life and souls ... there is no way to get rid of it !! hahahh!!
i have similar storys too . i am glad for you have shared yours .
this painting is wonderful . who can do not fall in love by this little girl ?

Kathy said...

Congratulations on the sale of your paintings! Yay :))
I can see why you are unable to paint over the this cute little girl and her sad eyes. As you say, a temperature change will solve the problem.

indigomar said...

Yeayy for your sales! Congrats!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
Congratulation on your sell! Well done! I am really glad you did not ssnd the girl. Keep her, she has her own personality , and your signature!So forget about the tecnicality of it. Also is a step in your journey that you cannot dismiss.
That lovely girl is witness to your commitment to art.
I had a good day as well just finished an oil 12x16" . A lesson I bought from Daniel Edmonson, ill' see all the bubu... when i get the DVD. I kind of like it, but for sure can be improved, we will see what Daniel suggest. Thanks for sharing yoiur setup for sketches. I am too old to start sketching, rather push around oils than graphite!!! Cannot change my life ...will not change my oils. Thanks on the bit on Cassat and Henry, He is one of my Idols. He tought me a lot in his book. I love the info.