Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My storage clipboard, for planning and sketching





I wanted to share this nifty organizational drawing kit that I learned about watching Ian Robert's dvd about composition (scroll down for photos). Roberts is emphatic that paintings must be carefully considered before brush meets canvas. He does many sketches and thumbnails for ideas. He prefers to use loose sheets and a "storage clipboard*" instead of a conventional sketchbook. I've been doing things his way for awhile and I understand why he likes it. The storage clipboard has lots of room for completed sketches and tools. A big advantage is being able to use whatever paper you want and having all sorts of pens/erasers/pencils with you at all times. I mean to add a viewfinder tool to this kit. Roberts told us that from time to time you should sort through your planning sketches to determine which studies are worth keeping..he recommends you three hole punch the sketches you want to keep and put them into a binder. Admittedly this gear doesn't look all that arty...it's functional and convenient. *I got my storage clipboard at Office Depot.
For an in-depth discussion about Ian Robert's other book Creative Authenticity visit Katherine Cartwright's blog.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

Great tip! I do something similar, but not quite as elaborate. Thanks so much for sharing this.

indigomar said...

Hi Celeste,
I recently bought Ian Roberts book, Mastering Composition and have been reading it at a leisureley pace; really soaking up the info. Now, thanks to your post, I'll watch the DVD. It's funny, I'm so attached to my sketchbooks, their process, growth and evolution, that I quickly disregarded his idea of the storage clipboard. But now, your thoughts have opened up my thinking, and I'll give this a try. Still using the sketchbooks and isolating the sketches for paingings in the clipboard. Thanks!

Celeste Bergin said...

Hi Kathy..I'm adding a link to your GREAT series on Roberts other book (Authentic Creativity)

Indigomar, I agree with you that I also like and prefer sketchbooks! I don't think I will give them up...but I keep this clipboard thing handy and I use it often. I think it would be great to have one like this just sitting in the car at all times!

ArtSparker said...

i like the sketch of the two walkers, who are physically awkward but deep in thought.

PAMO said...

Wonderful idea! And great sketches too!! Thanks.

hwfarber said...

Great idea. I have a few of these already. Contractors use them and I think they're cool--especially the aluminum ones.

Michael Orwick, Orwick Arts said...

Great post, I'm all hung up on composition just now.
This is my big goal for 2010 back to the basics, composition and drawing.

Do you have this video? can I borrow it?

I love the sketch of the girl hugging the woman.

the little girls toes show so much.

Celeste Bergin said...

Hey everyone--thanks for the comments!
Mike, I will be pleased to loan you the dvd--it is excellent!

Lokelani Forrest said...

This is a great tip. One that I will put into use...lots more convenient than what I'm doing now.

Carrie said...

I like the mother and cild sketch too. That will be a great little painted up piece.