Sunday, December 13, 2009

"Patches"... a special family dog

Next weekend six painters from PPASP are part of a holiday exhibit entitled "Hearth & Home" at Gallery 2121. Each artist will be contributing something unique to the mix for a show that emphasizes the beauty and comfort of our surroundings. What describes home better than it's furry member(s)? One of the things that I'll be offering is animal portraits (by commission). This is a pastel I did of "Patches". I never met Patches (because the portrait was posthumous). I heard plenty of stories about what a special dog she was...how she would sit at attention until she was given the signal to "nose-dive" for treats placed in the bottom of a tub of water. She would submerge her entire face into the tub and a steady stream of bubbles would come up to the surface on either side of her snout until she came up with her treat. I know that sounds weird, but apparently she really loved to do it! She was part of the family for years and years. I was always happy to know that my portrait of her was/is considered a treasure by the whole family.

An animal portrait takes from 3-6 weeks for completion.
Email me at celeste(at)celestebergin.com to learn more.

"Patches", pastel 16 x 20

7 comments:

ArtSparker said...

It's good to have these presiding household spirits stay with us in painted form. A friend of mine painted my cat for me and it is looking at me now.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
Your Patches is beautiful. I like the trick he did. Very neat!

-Don said...

Great job, Celeste.

Our family dog, Lucy, loves to bob for apples at Halloween with the kids. She used to shove her whole head under water to get them, but after a few years of that decided she didn't like getting water up her nose. So now she'll very carefully grab the stem of an apple, look at us with pride while the kids laugh and clap, and then disappear under the table to make a complete mess of the apple.

-Don

Harnett-Hargrove said...

My mom raised spaniels when I was small, so I do have a soft spot in my heart for them. Beautiful work. -J

Caio Fernandes said...

so well done !
dog's heads is one of my passions for painting .
good to read bout Patches too .
see you !

Eva said...

Your dog portrait is excellent! Thanx for commenting on my blog and drawings, my respect and appreciation for your work!

Gary Keimig said...

very well done. Celeste. I have done a few post humously dog and horse portraits myself and always cringe at the results wishing I had my own take on the animale myself.
Thanks for your comment on my blog. That really is amazing country and about as fresh of air as can be found in this world. It is a long day ride by horse and several days by backpack into that country but what a country it is.