Monday, December 14, 2009

Summer Study

This is a painting from last summer..from my archives. It's a study, and I didn't think it was good enough to post (then). I'm reversing my decision about it because I want to post something. I painted a studio painting tonight that is REALLY bad, I couldn't post it. If I didn't have enough "canvas miles" behind me, I'd be tempted to hang up my brushes! Luckily for me, I honestly understand that feelings like that are more transitory the more one paints.
Every now and then (like right after a failed painting) I remember having seen the following video. Ira Glass, host of National Public Radio's This American Life, knows a lot about turning out a polished, finished product. He also remembers turning out work he didn't necessarily want to put his stamp on. This video, part of an interview series on story telling, features exceptional advice about working through those first few attempts—or even years—where your product doesn't quite meet your standards. It doesn't matter what your creative process is..his advice is stellar. I've posted it before--and it bears repeating.

13 comments:

Caio Fernandes said...

i tryied to see the video but my slow internet and my "things to do today " didn't allow me .
maybe later .
i have so much to say about the curse and bless that is don't have control sometimes and face this piercing frustration of to fail with a painting ....
thank you for sharing this Celeste .
by the way . this is a good painting for me .

PAMO said...

Celeste- First off, the painting you posted is beautiful. I'm glad you kept it and revisited it here today. And second- thank you for this post. The exact words I needed to hear today. And coming from a professional like you who exudes excellence- they mean even more. Great video too!
Pam

Janelle Goodwin said...

I'm glad you reconsidered posting this painting because I love it!

I watched the video and it to be very candid and true. Good to know how long it takes for our inner vision to become our outer vision. And that it takes just plain hard work.

Peter Yesis said...

Hello Celeste-
Hang in there! By the way that painting is beautiful!
Thanks for the video clip, he hits it right on the head. The best advice I've seen on discouragement. My suggestion for you is to paint 5 more versions of the same wonderful scene in this painting. Have fun exhausting your creative self changing the colors, composition and accents. Have fun with it and the residue from the last failed attempt will disappear.

Jim Serrett said...

That's a great video, and the line "ambition to be good" says volumes about perseverance and motivation.

Beautiful piece posted here, I think you have had a long string of good work on your site. Have really enjoyed following your work,
one dog in house just means you are human.
lol

ArtSparker said...

Makes me think of summer sounds...

do you know the Wallace Stevens poem "The Idea of Order at Key West"? A link:

http://www.cscs.umich.edu/~crshalizi/Poetry/Stevens/The_Idea_of_Order_at_Key_West.html

By the way, my first attempt at drawing Heathcliff's face was emabarassingly bad.

j. said...

it's lovely.
thank you for deciding to share it. that happens a lot with me; I will draw something and hate it then, upon looking back several weeks or months later, I will see something about it I do like.

Chuck Dilmore said...

thanks for sharing this...
love Ira. love his advice!
color me a subscriber.

peace~

Suzanne said...

Great video, Celeste ! Very inspiring. As with music, we shall keep practicing.

Kerri Settle said...

Thanks so much for posting the video, because it's absolutely true and it's comforting to hear. I love the painting, too!

AutumnLeaves said...

Timely advice indeed, Celeste. Thank you for directing me to this video. I am partly aghast that these feelings I have can go on for years! YEARS! LOL At the same time, I am glad that I'd already made up my mind that I shall sally forth. Good to know that this is a common path.

Celeste Bergin said...

"sally forth"! yes--I agree..that is what we do! Hooray for all of us who soldier on--even when it seems a futile idea to do so. I'm glad I saw this video. Each time I despair (which is often enough) I remember it.

Michelle said...

Great post, Celeste! Love the painting and to think you weren't going to post it. Also, much gratitude for posting the Ira Glass video...so true!