Saturday, December 26, 2009

Thanks for all the birthday wishes!


I didn't paint today..but I resurrected one of my favorite paintings of my own vintage "John Shaft" suede coat for this post. I think when I painted it I was trying to think of ideas for the Gamblin Torrit Grey competition. I never did follow through--but I like the study I did..how can I not? Do you have an article of clothing from your past that you really really like? Believe me when I tell you nothing was more cool than the Shaft type coat. Today is my birthday!--the candles are 5+?, but I don't mind telling you that I am 59 today! Go me! Thanks to all of you who remembered my birthday. Soon all this holiday hoopla will be over with and it'll be back to the studio. I have lots of ideas about what I am going to work on. Plans! Oh! It is so great to get older.....It is exceptional to have a history that includes a Shaft coat....Advertisers want us to never get older, but there is nothing better.

12 comments:

lilasvb said...

nice birthday cake! have a good time

PAMO said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Growing older is a gift- I'm glad you have embraced it so eloquently. Great study of the coat!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
H a p p y B i r t h d a y !
Is not the years that tell the story,
is your spirit. Just like old wine, it gets better as it get older! By the way , your Torrit gray study , I like it a lot!

ArtSparker said...

Happy Birthday. Well, I guess the book will be a late present. The study of the coat is beautiful. Yes, about getting older - One can start just letting go of some stuff.

Dale Sherman Blodget said...

Beautiful study, Celeste. Happy birthday, belatedly. I can vouch for 59. It's definitely a GO YOU/ME kind of year!

hwfarber said...

Beautiful coat. When you were enjoying your Shaft coat, I was wearing my old mink-collared one from the Mad Men era.

Happy Birthday.

Chuck Dilmore said...

am i too late
is it still your birthday?
of course it is!

Happy Birthday, Celeste!
this is *your* year!
enjoy, and thanks for sharing it with us!

peace&love~
Chuck

Lokelani Forrest said...

Happy Birthday Celeste. I agree with Mariano Zucchi...we just get better with age, just like fine wine.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Happy birthday, Celeste!

Who's the cat that won't cop out
when there's danger all about
Shaft! Right on!

Why am I not surprised that you owned a cool Shaft coat?

Celeste Bergin said...

Lilasvb, Pamo, Mariano, Susan, Dale, hwf, Chuck (dreamboat!), Lokelani and Kvan--thanks for the birthday wishes...! and Kvan--I still own this coat..maybe I should squeeze into it for a Tuesday Breakfast meeting. Is it still "retro" when you are the original owner? lol
Thanks again all!

Suzanne said...

Happy Birthday, Celeste !
You don't look a day over 39 !
That's a great painting of your coat. Was that from back in the college days?!

Don Coker said...

Happy Birthday, Celeste!! I hope it was a wonderful one.