Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Going for contemporary

I am happy to report that I cleaned up my studio tonight..enough to find my Golden "Open" Acrylics that I bought last summer. (How is it I can lose my supplies? My studio can be like a labyrinth of stuff). Anyway! Here was my thinking about painting over this painting (scroll down). The original painting was something I did in the style of my friend George Broderick. When I did it I meant for it to be an homage to him for a show called "Expressions." It's served it's purpose and it is a stylized thing..but not my style. Goodbye, weird painting.
Acrylics lend themselves to abstract paintings and even though the "Open" brand is supposed to handle more like oil, I had it in my mind to try my hand at a quasi-abstract. This is what is good about being me--! I love simple graphic painting as well as traditional representational painting. My intention with this paint-over was to "carve" out shapes... allowing some of the negative shapes to create positive shapes and visa versa. It is meant to look somewhat cut-out --that's what I am going for. I'm super happy with the end result...I think it has a contemporary feel. Best of all, I enjoy how it is not easy to tell which side of these people we are looking at. Suggestion is cool..it gives the viewer much more to do than when the artist provides every detail. What do you think?

Acrylic on 24x24 gallery wrap canvas





My new painting also makes me think of "global" type things. Watch this video..(I promise it will make you smile! if you are old enough, you can also take a certain pride that this song originated during "our time"--the message, however, is completely timeless).

23 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

It's very cool that you showed the whole process -- it's like the amazing melting faced woman! You are generous in sharing the details of your process and thinking. THANKS!

Patricia D Arndt said...

What a great painting, Celeste. The colours, along with the strong lines & shapes are wonderful!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
I like a lot the top left face , reminds me a lot of a Matissse. Glad you found those colors, You put them toghether pretty good!!

Celeste Bergin said...

Katherine, it seems generous? really? I think you are the generous one--for reading it! lol

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks so much Patricia! (that's one of my names too)..I appreciate your stopping by to comment on my work.

Celeste Bergin said...

Mariano--do you mean you like the face I painted over? lol...I didn't..that's why I painted over it. lol. She's gone now. poor thing. Thanks for checking in with me. It is always a pleasure to "see you"

Werner said...

Hallo Celeste,
Wann wird aus einem gemalten Bild Kunst? Ich denke, es wird zur Kunst sobald es im Betrachter Fragen hervorruft. Fragen nach dem wiso, weshalb,warum. Sobald einen das Denken des Künstlers interressiert, dann wird ein gemaltes Bild zur Kunst. Ich denke deine neuen Bilder sind Kunst.

Viele Grüße
Werner

-Don said...

You achieved all of your goals in a most spectacular manner. Great job, oh Contemporary One...

-Don

Celeste Bergin said...

Lieber Werner,

thank you for coming to my blog! Ich weiß, was Sie über ein Betrachter, der Fragen stellt schrieb. Das ist genau das, was ich hoffen. Nochmals vielen Dank für die Zahlung der mir einen Besuch wert!

Celeste

AutumnLeaves said...

Celeste, thank you so much for finding my blog and reading, then directing me to the video posted on 12/14. I am going to watch it shortly and have also bookmarked your blog to include it in my daily rounds of artist blogs that I read. Just a quick glance and I have to say that your work is phenomenal. Your style, your colors, your compositions...sigh...So excited to be here!!

Kathy said...

Great "contemporary" work! I love seeing the transformations you create - so inspiring and instructive. And, I know what you mean about cleaning out the studio and finding stuff. I clean out my studio once a year and still find stuff that's decades old ... ugh!

PAMO said...

Well- I love it! And thanks for referencing George Broderick- I enjoyed his work as well. You are extremely prolific! Thanks again.

Charles Gramlich said...

Very interesting study. the colors really create character.

hwfarber said...

I like both of the paintings! And I know what you mean about labyrinths.

Caio Fernandes said...

again , i get fascinated by the way you can look to a paint and see a totaly diferent image , building it with so much grace !!

indigomar said...

I really love this painting!

Carol Anne Brown said...

I love how you can paint and 'think' in many different styles.

Sheila said...

I love this revision/rebirth of your painting. I also enjoyed your previous posts on composition and nontraditional colors. Green sky indeed! I didn't even notice it was green until you pointed it out.

Thanks for always educating and inspiring me!

becky joy said...

Very nice. I like the boldness and confidence. Its interesting to see the figures over the face. I've never heard of Open acrylics. Have to give it a try some time. Its always fun to have something new to play with. Thanks

lilasvb said...

i like those sad faces

AutumnLeaves said...

Celeste, I am amazed to see that you painted in the figures first. Somehow I thought you would paint over the original painting (a Fauvist portrait?) and lay in your desired background first. Quite interesting to me to see my suppositions turned upside down! LOL I love the suggestion of this painting as you say...I was trying to think what would pull people together, all ages such as this painting shows...I believe it looks like the dance floor at a wedding reception! Nice image and love when a painting sets my head rolling!

billspaintingmn said...

I heard Picasso painted paintings
over paintings.
The "Going for contemorary" has a
nice feeling of people doing there thing.
Greeting & meeting and going on there way.
Fun! (And contemporary!)

Tres said...

Celeste - you have guts! I like how you just jumped right in and painted "over". The fact that you didn't use a new ground, allowed more possibility to allow more spontaneity to determine the outcome. FUN STUFF!