Monday, January 4, 2010

Rules are meant to be broken

So, my last post was about composition and how we oil painters (in particular) DO love to go on about it. In our art discussion group there have been sessions where we almost came to fisticuffs* over composition (oh, I am joking... no, I'm not). The best thing about knowing what you are supposed to do is realizing that those rules can be damned! In the painting above I have broken composition rules and (traditonal/representational) color rules too. Kitty Wallis was the first teacher I had to applaud a green sky. Green skies are really great.
*Fistycuffs is an expression used usually by Englishmen, meaning a fight, (and usually incorporating a lots of whooping, and saying "what?!")

Oil on 6x6 gessoed board

13 comments:

Dan Gliubizzi said...

I love art fistycuffs!
We spend allot of time in our studios alone and it is invigorating to joust with our colleagues!
I like your painting and the several before it.
Thanks for visiting today. I think that my worst fear in the blogisphere is my writing skills.
Til Later

ArtSparker said...

Dearness - Inquisitive trees.

Making me think a little of Moreau, the symbolist painter, that is, his later work which got less representational.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

You are wise to duck when others come to near-blows on the topic! But, you've broken the "rules" beautifully.

hwfarber said...

Yes, learn the right way; then do it your way. Love the painting.

Celeste Bergin said...

Hey Dan..I WANT those clouds and trees on your blog--! when I worked in an office...I would have loved a painting like yours to look at everyday. &...You seem to write just right!

Celeste Bergin said...

Susan, I remember the earlier more ornate Moreau.! I will try to find a later one.

Celeste Bergin said...

haha Kvan knows of what I speak

-Don said...

I LOVE a rebel!!! Especially when she can make beautiful art like this... -Don

Celeste Bergin said...

Don, Rebels 'R us. haha--thanks for the compliment. :)

rahina q.h. said...

such a beautiful composition and colour handling Celeste. r.

billspaintingmn said...

Rules are like glass, they can be broken with little effort. (Just don't cut yourself!)
In Minnesota we call fisticuffs
"Tom & Jerry"
The sky you've painted is wonderful! The green brings a feeling of freshness and life.
Artistic license with an excellent outcome!

Kathy said...

Rules are to guide development; breaking the rules is the privilege of the mature. Your work is mature! Lovely painting.

indigomar said...

Green skies are great and yellow skies too.
Oh, composition. Sometimes its' so darned confusing. Love it when spontaneity kicks in; I don't think and the painting that happens is wonderful.