Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Thinking about the year ahead

(Dancer-oil on 10x10 stretched canvas)
This painting is something I did a while back. I like a lot about this painting..mostly the skirt! I couldn't quite figure out what to do with the wall. Many of the paintings that I upload to my blog are studies only. (<---message to my Greek friend in California who emailed me that he wanted my last painting to have a blue sky!) haha! Everyone's a critic.

Today I spent some quality time with some like-minded people who want to make this year better than the last one! How to do that? The consensus is PLANNING and discretion about how to spend our time. I do pretty well in this department, but I know I can do much better. How do you do your planning? Do you map out the year or do you decide things on the fly?

I use a combination of a paper calendar and I like backpack (a free online system) for daily and weekly planning. backpack gives you 5 free pages. For my monthly/yearly calendar I prefer a "hardcopy" calendar to a digital one. I know that it is very important to have only ONE calendar! (I am always tempted to have more than one--that is a very bad idea).

Below is a backpack page sample for my simple to do list (You have to spend a little time learning how backpack works..but it is easy)! I combine my backpack lists with my hardcopy calendar. What about you? How do you plan so you won't miss deadlines?
(Click to enlarge):

13 comments:

-Don said...

I am SO old school. I have a monthly planner and 3 different colored felt markers - Red=Family, Blue=Freelance, Green=Art. Other than that, I fly by the seat of my pants.

Would you please make the floor of this painting blue? Oh yeah, and while you're at it, I think the dancer should be male. Thanks...

-Don

Elizabeth Seaver said...

"I LOVE this painting, but it won't match my couch."

Seriously, though, the skirt is just lovely with all the color in it. I like the sketchy nature of the background.

I use an old-fashioned planner where I can see a week at a time. And then I try really hard to LOOK at it every day!

It is not fail-safe, but I do pretty well.

Thanks for joining my blog, Celeste.

Ann Buckner said...

You are an inspiration, Celeste, with your planning and steady devotion to your art.

Chuckling at Don's comment re' the floor color.

Caio Fernandes said...

Celeste , this painting is beautiful beautiful beautiful ....
because of Degas ( one of my favorites ever ) i don't resis ballett dancers ( "bailarinas" as we call here )... and yours is a dream ... i do like the skirt , and the wall i didn't notice it existed till read your comment , i was too amaized with the central figure , so i believe that the background is doing very well its job .
back pack for me is an expression fron when i was young beautiful and bold , just decided to travel with a backpack knowing nothing about the place i was going to .
i don't plan my cotidiane things , they just happen , but i am very diciplinated so i have no problems . i like the idea of having a list . i love lists . i never do a list for nothing , but i love then .

Kathy said...

Celeste - I'm somewhere between you and Don when it comes to planning. I have to plan the "large picture" in two-year blocks because I teach painting workshops. Once I know that schedule, I plan everything else around that. Sometimes, I don't do it very carefully and over-commit. What I really need is a personal assistant who is great and will work for free :)

AutumnLeaves said...

I've never been much of a list keeper, or even one to jot down things on a calendar. I seem to think it ridiculously necessary to try to keep track of every danged thing in my head! And I wonder why I get stiff necks, sore back, tension headaches? Oy vey!! Anyway, I love this beautiful ballerina painting and her tutu is indeed gorgeous! You made me laugh out loud with your "everyone's a critic" comment!

billspaintingmn said...

I must have wings on my butt, I fly by the seat of my pants.
I've tried to do a planner. Things
change so often that I Have what I call a plan "B" system.
If one thing fails or changes, I move on to plan "B"
The ol' boyscout motto,"B" prepaired"

ArtSparker said...

Lovely work. List-making of any kind is a help...One of my goals for this year is to focus more.

hwfarber said...

I found a calendar useful once. In 2002 I posted a yearly calendar on my wall; each day I didn't work on art was marked with a large red X. By September, the calendar looked bloody. I said, "%*&# this--I'm off to the workshop." I kept that calendar as a reminder of what's important--a day without art of some kind is a day lost.

I like your dancer, and Don might look good in a tutu.

PAMO said...

Another great post Celeste! Your dancer is beautiful. I'm not at all surprised at how organized you are. I make lists in several different places. The one here in my office is the low priority list and often gets neglected.

Karen E. Lewis said...

I love all the color in this painting. Even the background is varied, pulling my eye around.

I use google calendar to remind me of deadlines. It sends me e-mail reminders too. I keep a paper calendar with actual dates (appointments and such.) I use a gadget called "listy" as a to do list.

I also ignore much of my to do list. This is an IMPORTANT strategy. I do what feels important instead of what comes up on a list like "shop for a TV remote." The TV remote can wait; I need to PAINT.

Carol Schiff Studio said...

I LOVE this painting. The name "Degas" jumped into my mind as soon as it came up on the screen.
BRAVO!

Dennis Dame said...

really like this painting! Great job!