Monday, February 1, 2010

....For the Red Show

Here is one of the paintings I opted to enter into the RED show at Columbia Art Gallery. It has been a fun undertaking, painting a variety of subjects with red involved. Romantic, isn't she? It was named a couple times before I landed on "Lingering".
9 x 12 oil
From the Columbia Art Gallery website:

Artist Reception: The First Friday Artist Reception takes place on Friday, February 5th, from 6 to 8pm. Participating artists will be dressed in RED ... and you're invited to dress in red as well (but only if you want to!). You'll be able to enjoy creative red refreshments ... and luscious red wine will be available for purchase (and white, too, of course ... and beer). Columbia Art Gallery 215 Cascade Street, Hood River, OR 541-387-8877

13 comments:

-Don said...

I found myself lingering over this little beauty... I'm afraid the only red clothes I have advertise for the great Sooner Nation... Not that I wouldn't be proud to wear them. :-)

Sheila said...

The back of the neck is one of the sexiest bits of skin one can show in Japan in the olden days. I love the subtle sensuality of this beautiful image.

ArtSparker said...

Suugests a narrative...maybe something by Willa Cather?

hwfarber said...

Beautiful.

Alexander Bujak said...

gorgeous colours, one of those paintings that would look great in any type or colour surrounding.

Craig Granger said...

Celeste, I do find my eye goes right to the back of the neck. It gives the image a strong center. Nice one. Very romantic. Creates all sorts of storylines. Good luck with this one!

femminismo said...

I agree with ArtSparker. Willa Cather and the prairie - the great lover. I am in Oregon too! Have you heard of the Valley Art Gallery in Forest Grove?

Caio Fernandes said...

this red show seems to be fun !
the painting has an unresistible power to imaginate a story .
for me she is going back home after to have done it with a man she wasn't suposed to do it , the fields are going to tell this story with the wind !

Bruce Sherman said...

Celeste!....Sensually seductive... but sensitively treated... and anonymous....could be anyone... any place! I love the painterly quality! Should be a hit at the Red Show as well! Good luck with it!

Good Painting!
Bruce

billspaintingmn said...

Romantic indeed, but then most your work is!
There is a sense of hope that she will be able to find flowers to put in that basket.
After reading Sheila's comment, I
will go as far as to say this painting evokes a kiss on the back of the neck.
Valentines day is around the corner!

PAMO said...

Beautiful and your title is perfect!

AutumnLeaves said...

She looks so tranquil, a languid and barefoot walk through the wildflowers...or so I see this piece. Gorgeous, Celeste!

Lokelani Forrest said...

Lovely. There is a sensuality about her, which makes one linger a little bit longer looking at the piece.