Friday, February 19, 2010

Just black & white

My perpetually laid-out oil paints are running low and although I have plenty of paint to re-charge my palette, I decided instead to do a value exercise with just black and white.

When values are close together a value study is more challenging than you might think. We have to do everything right to get a painting to go our way (even a painting exercise!) I give myself points for good values, but I take away a few points for some indecisive brushwork. My most successful efforts are those where I am "fully present" for the entire painting. Well, even when the outcome isn't 100% ideal, the things I learn during my self imposed exercises always help me on my next painting!

oil on 10x10 paper/foam core

9 comments:

-Don said...

Nice value study, Celeste. Your self-critique was spot-on. I'd like to add that those reflections are marvelous. Keep exercising those painting muscles. Andy Warhol always said, "It's just work"... but, I always like to add that if it ain't fun, why do it...

-Don

lilasvb said...

i admire how much and how many arts you can be abble to do! so many technics are like so easy for you, colors or black and white!!!! bravo

AutumnLeaves said...

I think this is exquisite, Celeste! I love that shine on the table top, the oh so dark backdrop. I love when artists talk of things they do for exercising and flexing their artist chops. I truly learn alot through all of you. In exercises such as this, I begin to see what was done for colors and color mixing, values, etc. Helps in reinforcing the book learning.

Kathy said...

I love doing value paintings (grisailles) before overpainting in oil. It really helps me work through design problems before committing to color. Nice job!

billspaintingmn said...

This is what I'm talking about!
Celeste, I've got to try a black and white value painting!
This would not only be a fun exercise, but can help sharpen my skills.
Thanks for "making" me do jumping jacks!!(ha) I can always count on you to get my heart pumping!
Congratulations again Celeste!

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, Don, lilasvb, Sherry, Kathy and bill--the "fun" component lies in the fact that there ARE people out there (you) who care about this stuff! (lol)..Many people (throngs of them) do NOT give a fig about something like value studies. Thanks so much for your comments--!

francescbb@hotmail.es said...

Great blog Celeste!! Te felicito!!

http://balapertotarreu.blogspot.com

Frank

hwfarber said...

I actually enjoy value studies. For me, adding color is the hard part. Following your blog encourages me to get moving and paint.

PAMO said...

Beautiful! I wouldn't have known it was "just a study"- to me- it looks like a complete work. Well done!