Monday, February 1, 2010

"Subject #6, Subject to Interpretations"

My art group, PPASP, has a winter project where we paint "together" from a reference photo. The results go up onto the blog and it is always fun to see how others interpret the same image. Oil painters are taught to place emphasis somewhere and to allow everything else to be secondary to that "big idea". It was tempting to put in all the waves in the photo, but 1/2 way through this I decided to let the color be dominant. I guess it came out looking a bit more like Hawaii than California...but the fun part is "handling" it any way we see fit! Aloha!

Subject to Interpretations blog

Subject #6, Oil on 5 x 7 gessoed board

13 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I can smell the pineapples now! Beautiful interpretation and beautiful painting. Though you also appreciate the darker side of things, your appreciation for the beautiful is apparent. Beautiful is as beautiful does.

Jasmine said...

The colours are wonderful. So inviting, I want to swim in it...

AutumnLeaves said...

Oh to be in this little slice of heaven! I like the colors, Celeste!

Dean H. said...

Great color variation in this painting. The ocean is a combo of many colors to hold the interest...likewise the beach and landforms.
Don't know how I missed all these recent posts...you sure are productive with the art.

Lokelani Forrest said...

Celeste...Beautiful, could very well be a coastline in Hawaii.

Kathy said...

You made a good decision about dominance! All the waves would have distracted. Nicely done.

Cathyann said...

I like the richness of your colors in both the water and the far cliffs. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Celeste.

Julie Hill said...

Celeste, great painting...I would love to participate in a challenge like this, so if your group ever opens up to the public...please let me know.

billspaintingmn said...

The contrasts in this piece are subtle, yet inviting.
Has a tropicl feel to me. There is
a cool breeze and warm water.
Close but distant.
I wish I were there, I think maybe I am!
Pretty good painting Celeste!

Sheila said...

See....this is why I love visiting your blog. You're always generous to share your creative thought process. The beautiful end result highlights how successful you were in your decisions.

Gary Keimig said...

Interesting idea to tackle a subject this way. I have done that a few times myself. Always fun to see how various artists interpret things.

justdoodleit said...

Delicious blue!

Anita Stoll said...

Very Beautiful. It almost looks like a pastel