Tuesday, March 9, 2010

An afternoon with Richard Schmid

Without a doubt, Richard Schmid is one of America's greatest living artists. His contributions to the art world are VAST, not just for the breathtaking art that he has created over many years, but also for his strong influence on contemporary realists such as Nancy Guzik, Scott Burdick & Susan Lyon, Rose Frantzen, Jeremy Lipking, and Casey Baugh.
Richard Schmid no longer offers workshops, but thankfully, he recorded his lessons and philosophies in several books and DVDs. Today I met with several of my artist friends and we watched Schmid's DVD "June" together. I strongly recommend watching any of Schmid's videos or DVDs with your artist friends--it was so much fun to watch Schmid's masterful strokes with his splayed Langnickel brush (for foliage) and his palette knife (for his signature architectural precision). I imagine that a non-painter might find an instructional art dvd a little dull?...but there were 11 of us who hung on Schmid's every word and stroke. Next time we will watch "November"!

13 comments:

Ralph said...

Living in Scotland I have looked and cannot find acess to his dvds. As you know Celeste I was making comment in my blog about those who teach and those who refuse to help. You are fortunate to be part of such a group. Thanks again for your support on my blog It means much to me.

Kathy said...

Thanks for the recommendation, Celeste. I'll look for it.

AutumnLeaves said...

Being a fan of art tv shows, I must say that I am usually enthralled with watching an artist paint. Yes, I am a Bob Ross fan...a son of Bob Ross fan, and any others who have had shows or spots on tv. I looked at each of those artists for whom you have provided links and their work is amazing.

Susan Roux said...

I had the privilege to attend the shooting of his first video. He painted a sailor. It was amazing to be there, to meet him, and to interact asking questions. He's not only a remarkable artist, he's such a nice man as well.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
Thanks for all the info, i watch DVD myself, and they are a good tool. But i believe there is a danger of getting oversaturated with contrasting information. After one has been exposed to many DVD, one should trow them away and follow his/her hearth. Happy painting

Caio Fernandes said...

i linked to his site , there are really great works there .
thank you Celeste !

Dennis Dame said...

Well said Celeste! Richard is one of my favorites, and so generous with his knowledge.

Barbara Pask said...

I have several of his dvds including this one. I love to watch him paint, you can just see the joy it gives him. He is the master.

Linda said...

I was fortunate to find this DVD at Half Price Books for only $4.95!! What a bargain! I have watched it a couple of times and lent it to many art friends. His work is amazing and he is a good teacher.

billspaintingmn said...

I've never seen a Schmid dvd. I know an artist that admires him greatly.
Your post has me curious to see one. Can they be rented?

Marie Wise said...

I love Richard Schmid. I have his book 'Everything I Know About Painting', and I saw one of his paintings at the Frye in Seattle. Oh what I'd give to be able to paint like that! Glad you and your friends enjoyed the video!

DALSING said...

I have two Schmid books that I treasure and refer to often. I was also able to see a collection of his works in Bartlesville, Ok., about 18 or so years ago. They were in a gallery at the Community Center. Exquisite work. I was not painting at that time but was inspired to try.

Four Seasons in a Life said...

Dear Celeste,

I thank you for your links and introducing us to a new artist I was not aware of.

Warmest regards,
Egmont