3 hours ago
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Cow portrait..in just 5 steps
1. The first step is to simply block in (with thin paint) the overall shape and to clearly indicate the shadow and light sides.
2. Warm (red-ish) and cool (blue-ish) "local" colors are established--taking care to keep colors/temperatures clean.
3. Additional local color is added, by following the the photo reference (...but not "slavishly"..resist the urge to put in every teensey thing!).
4. Smaller details are now added, such as eyelashes and light in the eye. Background color is added (..could have done that sooner, but no real harm done).
5. A few more details and a darkened ear--Voila!...cow painting pretty much complete.
Celeste Bergin, Cow. Oil on 8x8 canvas. ©2010.