Saturday, March 20, 2010

Saturday still life workshop (II) with Eric Jacobsen

Today I took the second still life workshop offered at Art on the Boulevard in Vancouver, WA with Eric Jacobsen. Just like last week, we discussed expressive still life and Eric did a demonstration. Eric showed us warm and cool relationships that made the painting read properly. His internal dialog is: "is that warm? Is that cool? What is that temperature related to that shape..?" (and so on and so forth...) Eric told us that in order to make a good painting these "incessant" questions are mandatory! He said, "if you don't like to have to ask yourself so many things....WELL. I'd advise you to find something else to do!" (This made us laugh).
When it came time for us to paint I selected a set up that was a large tin bucket filled with a big batch of greenery and white flowers. No one else chose what I did, so I had the opportunity to change the set up physically as much as I wanted. This is the challenge--moving things all around until it seems there is interest. I am pleased with my painting from the workshop--Eric helped me to realize that the initial green backdrop I had would be better changed to blue and he also showed me a bold stroke for the fallen petals. There's no need for timidity--if there is an error, scrape it off the mistake and put it back in with strength.
Lots of Eric's students asked if he'll be doing more weekend workshops--I hope he will too. He is a first rate instructor! (Eric normally conducts outdoor plein air workshops. Contact him here.)

Oil on 12 x 16 canvas panel


17 comments:

Kaylyn said...

I've always thought I lived in an arts focused community but I am astounded at the daily and weekly opportunities you have. Hope you appreciate that...I have a feeling you do.

And your work just keeps getting better and better every week. Go!

ArtSparker said...

I admire your continual pursuit of new knowledge about your medium.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
nice work, the workshop was short but worthwhile i think, Glad you engjoed your day. I took the weekend off as my 2 grandoughter have soccer games 2 today and 2 tomorrow
They scored 3 goals today we will see tomorrow!
You are so nice to scare your experience!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

It's like rubbing your belly and patting your head and singing "The Star Spangled Banner" all at once! Thank you for sharing so generously about your workshop!

Good suggestion to stay focused on temperature and ask the questions.

Sheila said...

Lucky lucky you to have these opportunities and good for you for taking full advantage of them!

I love the last photo where we can see the big hand scrawled word, "Squint" on the face of his easel.

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

oh that looks like fun...i love your painting...it's great!

no timidity!!!

ciao bella
carmelina

Kitty Wallis said...

A solid composition The vase is well grounded. I can feel the weight of it. And the color is lush.

AutumnLeaves said...

Celeste, this is truly a gorgeous (and masterful) painting. Of course, I see all of your paintings this way, but I love this piece. Was it Eric? From the photos he looks really young! How awesome to be so good, such a good teacher AND artist, at such a young age!

Ralph said...

I also envy you but not because of all the things you have but having spent all my life as a minister and then a teacher I now find that I cannot be a part of a group and work I need to work in Isolation. I do not want to I just have to. I so love the painting.

Dean H. said...

There's a lot to love about this one, Celeste! Some aspects are color chroma...value contrasts...and my favorite: great edges!!
That was a great workshop.

Casey Klahn said...

What Kitty said. Very nicely done!

martinealison said...

J'aime beaucoup votre travail, belle composition

Linda said...

Everyone before me said it all so well!! Your painting is beautiful! The edges are soft and the colors are luscious! Thanks for sharing your workshop info!

billspaintingmn said...

This still life you've painted is
colorful.
I like how the white flower is nested into the greens.
The tin vase and table top puts strength into your composition.
Your brush strokes are deliberate
and Timidity is a new word for me!
I will use it for the following week," I don't mind the humidity, but tone down the timidity!"(ha)

Kathy said...

Your painting reads beautifully, and your sensitivity to the subject really shines through! Lovely.

hwfarber said...

Another winner.

Marie Wise said...

Looks like it was a good painting day, and your painting is lovely. I would have liked to attend, but we were tied up.