Saturday, March 6, 2010

Old gnarly tree (over a predominately red woman)

I watched a Richard Schmid DVD today (I had to make sure it worked because my painting group is going to watch it together next week). Richard Schmid paints trees and foliage like no other! Most of my blogging friends know how much I like to paint over old paintings. Today I elected to "get rid of" this red figure. My recent value exercises are still fresh in my mind, so I stuck with correct values and wrestled the overpowering background into submission! (No doubt the red also actually helped me to be able to see some values that I wouldn't have seen so easily on a white support). P.S. I've gotten so many nice compliments on the value exercises, that it must be said that Kitty Wallis is the one who teaches about values the best! She always says--if the values are right, it will all be right. Local color is not near as important as we think it is!
(Sequence photos from left to right:)
1. old painting placed upside down
2. tree indicated in dark paint
3. darkest darks established
4. lightest lights established
5. all other values established
(finished painting)
Oil on 11 x 14 (over old painting) on masonite





19 comments:

Kaylyn said...

Am I dense|? Where is the red naked woman??

D*fusion said...

it is amazing to see the progression photos, could make a mysterious video perhaps. in reverse. you are so correct on the "values" principle. I see why so many painters prep in color. Thanks for the note.
Dan

ArtSparker said...

There is something about this process suggesting an unknown Greek myth...Zeus in the form of a tree making trouble in the way he usually did? Impressive tree.

Celeste Bergin said...

haha--Kaylyn, the naked woman is upside down in the first photo in the sequence. I almost always place the old image upside down when I paint over old paintings.

Sharon McPherson: AUTHOR said...

I like your blog and how you describe your learning processes. Very helpful. I would never have thought about painting upside down!!! I love your work, and your describing your journey is fasinating ... the best bit. :)

~*~ saskia ~*~ said...

Love this eye candy. Such pretty artworks! xo

AutumnLeaves said...

I so love gnarled trees (well, really - any trees!). Your point-of-view on this one is fabulous, Celeste! A bit haunting, rather. I love that feeling!

rob ijbema said...

great angle of attack celeste,that tree is alive!

martinealison said...

Bel arbre, il nous tend les bras...

Caio Fernandes said...

briliant !!
it looks always as magic when you do this with old works .
and this tree !
wow!

Dean H. said...

Great progress shots and painting steps to remember.
I'm a firm believer in value being of highest importance. In fact, if one isn't going for high realism, when the actual colors used are off it only makes a more interesting painting.

Love your tree. It has rugged individualism. Kinda like a John Wayne attitude. :)

Pam Holnback said...

I love seeing the piece in progress. And, you're right. Value is so important.! The rest falls in place.

hwfarber said...

I feel that I'm standing under your tree.

Sheila said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to again post sequentials Celeste. You've been my paint over guru and now my professor of tones and values. I need to paint something now...

Kathy said...

Wow!

Kaylyn said...

Yes. I am dense! And look at stuff way too late at night and don't really see anything!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
this is an unusual prospective, but it works very well for this oil that i like very much. Now the red women look way better!

Karen E. Lewis said...

Love the step-by-step.

Karen

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Oh, this is wonderful, Celeste! I love to paint over old paintings, too. I loved seeing your progression.