Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Raffaelli copy and my contribution to "eight+"


Today in my artist discussion group at O'Connor's we talked about values and how important it is for a painter to keep values clear and defined. We all know that we can learn most of what we need to know from the Masters, so it seemed an interesting project to try to "match values" with a master painting. The photo at the top is my effort and the 2nd photo is the page from the book that I used as reference (painting by J.F. Raffaelli). I made some errors, but it was a valuable exercise! Returning from Market, (copy/Raffaelli) Ultramarine blue, burnt umber and white on 8 x 10 stretched canvas. Additionally.......(scroll down)










Yesterday I posted a detail of the painting I put into the group show at O'Connor's. Here is the painting "in it's entirety" and it's spot on the wall. All of the eight+ participants enjoy putting our work up in this popular restaurant in Multnomah Village. The walls are spacious and the ceilings are high. It is a great opportunity to paint big!
Holiday, Oil on 30 x 40 stretched canvas



16 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Hmm, I think you might have made a good forger...this painting really has the feel as well as the look of the original.

Kaylyn said...

A value-able lesson? (Value is an interesting word, used and abused so many ways.)

I agree, though. Contrast is what makes things interesting. Not just in painting.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Your new painting looks great!! Great job!

-Don said...

Celeste, You just keep on cranking out great work every day! You're an inspiration.

-Don

Susan Roux said...

Wonderful composition and great light. You're mud head looks wonderful at the restaurant! How can that man be ignoring it???

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Copying the masters is such a great exercise--and hard! Great job on the Raffaelli.

I love the way your "mudhead" painting finished out. The large "quiet spaces" are very effective!

Kathy said...

"Holiday" is a tour de force!! It looks fantastic on the wall. As for values, for me it depends on the concept. Some paintings are very effective using limited values that are close in range. Turner, for instance, did this very effectively.

Gregory Becker said...

Beautiful painting and a good value exercise

AutumnLeaves said...

Both paintings are spot on, Celeste. You do such beautiful work and I always enjoy hearing your thoughts on your pieces.

PAMO said...

Your value study is great! I don't see any errors. The Mudheads painting is beyond stellar!!! I like how you have the color primarily on the upper third of the canvas- and the figures are painted just right. Lends an air of mystery and excitement. I'm still thinking about your blue and white city scene. OK- I'm rambling now. Your work is inspiring.

Caio Fernandes said...

and what an exercise !!
wonderful ( both , orinal and your ) .
i liked to see the painting on the wall .... wow ! it got so distinct !!

Pam Holnback said...

Your painting looks so great on the wall. I love seeing where it's hanging.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks Susan, Kalyn, Kvan, Don,Susan R, Elizabeth, Kathy, Gregory, Sherry, PAMO and Caio! It is always a pleasure to sign on and see your comments--I appreciate it! The value exercise was harder than I thought it would be and I see that the dog's face looks goofy--I was flagging by the time I got to him. lol. And..I am super-pleased with how "Holiday" came out. Thanks all!

hwfarber said...

A beautiful painting and looks great on that wall--and speaks from that distance.

Lora R Fisher said...

I swear, you lived in Paris in the late 1800s ... .

Sheila said...

This looks so awesome up on the wall highlighted beautifully by those lovely sconces!