Friday, March 12, 2010

Redhead from memory and previous study

I wanted to do another portrait from Wednesday's life session because I thought it would be good practice. In particular, I sought to work on cleaner brushwork. I hadn't remembered to take any photos of the model...so I had to do some guesswork, but "fudging" things is usually problematic. Cleaner brushwork aside, the portrait came out looking a great deal like Cher. When I noticed "Cher" I scraped off some areas and repainted it.. but it looked like Cher again! It was as if she would not be denied. Uh, and it should be added that the model looked nothing whatsoever like this..it's like I lost my mind or something.

Oil on 11 x 14 canvas panel

P.S. When I lived in Florida in the mid 70's Sonny & Cher "purchased" the movie theater for the night just to watch a movie by themselves. I know this because a friend of mine who worked at the theater had to stay the entire time while Sonny & Cher watched a double feature. My friend drove home (after her double shift) at 3:30am in her VW beetle.

8 comments:

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

It Cher does look like her! it's too funny...it was like she was living in the canvass lying in wait..for your rescue! lol

i wonder how much it would cost to buy out a movie theatre in its entirety...that's annoying and so cool at the same time!

nice work! ciao bella

ArtSparker said...

The left eye in particular.

martinealison said...

Very good work, i don't know Cher. But i understand what you explain.
Sorry my english is bad.
See you later.

AutumnLeaves said...

Hah! I don't see Cher in her at all, Celeste! LOL But I do think both Cher and your model are just exquisitely beautiful. There is a softness here that reminds me of the Renaissance painters and their subjects. I love the "clean" brush strokes and that amazing background just sets off this lady's beautiful hair. I personally think you've scored a home run and I really look at each piece. There is a certain regalness to Cher and that is the one thing I see here too.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

You kept the green in the shadow side of the face? Though it may not look like the model, it looks masterful and not overworked. This may not be the destination, but it's along the path! Good job!

billspaintingmn said...

I find this a very interesting painting.
When painting from memory,(an art in itself!) the artist most always
has a bit of themselves to it.
As I become more familiar with your art, I notice things.
Here, I like to think Celeste is in a play. She is modeling for an artist, trying to capture the beauty of things unseen.
The red hair represents the intensity, and passion while the fleshtones are the sensetivity and
feeling inside.
The eyes are the window you look out to see the day.
To me, this is a wonderful, and beautiful painting.
Yes, Cher is beautiful, but this is more..

hwfarber said...

Whoever she is--she's a beauty.

Sheila said...

I love the glow you placed around her face. She is very beautiful. Her skin is luminescent!

Cool story about Sonny and Cher. I used to love their TV show.