Saturday, March 13, 2010

Saturday still life workshop with Eric Jacobsen

I attended Eric Jacobsen's still life workshop today. The class was located at one end of the courtyard at Art on the Boulevard in Vancouver. Eric began by by showing us some books and examples of "expressive" still life. He did a demo for us (that was great), talking throughout about a hierarchy of concerns that we should have... beginning first and foremost with composition. After the demonstration we selected our spot from several different still life set ups. I started with a landscape/horizontal orientation, but had trouble with float-y looking elements. Eric suggested I switch to a portrait/vertical format. Well, that made all the difference! I painted this fruit and vase and felt that I learned a LOT today (especially about integrating objects with other objects). An added bonus from the day was getting to visit Art on the Boulevard and Gallery manager, Kevin Weaver. I also ran into a favorite artist, Mike Rangner. He's having a solo show at Art on the Boulevard in November. There is a group that meets every Saturday for life drawing/painting in the center of the courtyard. Today was a day completely infused with art--and best of all, I get to repeat it in another Saturday workshop with Eric... same place, same station next week. If you get a chance to work with Eric...do not pass it up!





17 comments:

Ralph said...

Seems like you had a wonderful day. You desreved to have, you are such a giving beautiful person. I really do love the still life painting you did makes me want to try. Right now though i know it would not be right for me to paint at all so I will enjoy yours.

-Don said...

Ahhh, composition... that cornerstone of every successful work of art...

Every day should be as infused with art as yours was today. Wow! Thanks for sharing your art adventures.

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

Gosh Celeste; this looks like fabulous fun! Love the colors in your still life! So you headed up into Washington, eh? Not too long of a drive though from where you are. Follow the river!

hwfarber said...

What an exciting still life! I love it.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Looks like a full workshop! What's the story with the blue tape on the board? Your painting is exciting!

Dean H. said...

A well done painting, Celeste! I envy the number of workshops you attend. You are adding so much to your artwork.
May all your days be art filled.

martinealison said...

Belle composition Céleste. Votre vie doit être joyeusement remplie...
Amitiés.

ArtSparker said...

Magical painting, as if the fruit had been conjured out of the jar.

Lokelani Forrest said...

Looks like a great workshop. I must applaud you Celeste for being such a consistent blogger. You are such an inspiration and I always tell myself I'm going to blog more often, but that never happens.

Sheila said...

You're so lucky to be not only have such wonderful access to workshops and lessons but to be surrounded by talented artists such as yourself. I am so envious!

Kathy said...

Isn't it wonderful to be part of a great workshop?? Your work is already wonderful, but I'm sure you'll mine some great tips from your instructor. Have fun!

Barbara Pask said...

Sounds like a wonderful day, what is better than a day filled with art. I love your still life painting, sounds like a great teacher too.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
nice fotography, is always inspiring to see such a group of happy people, doing what they love.
Thanks Celeste for sharing.

PAMO said...

Beautiful! I love the purple and yellow, red and blue. Nice!

Marie Wise said...

It was a great workshop, wasn't it! You got some really great photos too! Your work is lovely. Enjoy next Saturday. I can't make it, have to pick up artworks in Hood River. Take care ! Marie

get zapped said...

Bold and beautiful! Looks like you had a grand time. Thanks for sharing.

billspaintingmn said...

This still life looks great! Sounds
like the workshop was fun and motivating.
Thanks for this post!