Thursday, March 11, 2010

Something started ...and an exceptional day of Portland Galleries

(I'm thinking of doing another painting of the redheaded model and this is my preliminary drawing based on yesterday's life session.)

Today my friend Katherine van Schoonhoven took me out for a day of Portland gallery-going and lunch. This was a "special date" to celebrate my birthday (.....my birthday was in December--but our date got moved a couple of times until it ended up being today). Several galleries in Portland have closed, but the ones that remain impressed us! We visited: Augen on 2nd (closed, no staff there) Augen on Davis, Froelick, Butters, Museum of Contemporary Craft, Charles Hartman, Blue Sky, beppa wiarda, Bella Pearla (no one there), PDX Contemporary, Pulliam Deffenbach (no one there), Blackfish and Elizabeth Leach. We opted to skip the Lawrence Gallery, since we heard that they are closed. Lunch was at Chez Joly. One of my BEST birthdays ever!

Photos: 1. Augen, 2. Kvan @ Butters, 3. Kvan looks into the "pool" at Nine gallery inside of Blue Sky, 4. The fellow at Contemporary Craft shows us how a bell jar rings, 5. installation about women in science at beppa wiarda 6. "moving" lighted digital electronic custom software paintings at Elizabeth Leach






11 comments:

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What a fun day. I need a gallery day. You've given me an idea, especially now that we may depend on more pleasant weather!

Love your read-headed model images. I'm looking forward to what-all you do with them!

-Don said...

What a great birth-date! Looks like a great time. And you still took time to whip out a drawing. Fantastic!

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

This portrait is going to be beautiful. I think it is already beautiful and could stand just perfectly as is! Love the galleries and I love Portland so I can imagine what a wonderful day you had yesterday. Wish I could have tagged along, really. Anyway, the gallery shots are wonderful. I especially love the open floor space of the last gallery shot.

Art with Liz said...

Looking good Celeste - she is a stunning model from what you've given us.

Caio Fernandes said...

good photos of really cool works .
thank you .

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Nice sketch for your next take on the figure. Good lines and an obvious statement that you know and remember her.

It was a great gallery/lunch/art filled day! Let's not wait until birthdays to do it again. Kvan

hwfarber said...

A birthday celebration worth waiting for. With a few lines, you have a portrait!

Sheila said...

Oh, I would love to spend my birthday with a good friend and great art like you did. I'm glad you had a great time. I am so looking forward to this new redhead portrait. The previous oil sketches were awesome.

ArtSparker said...

Congratulations on the extended Birthday celebration.

billspaintingmn said...

always fun to take an art cruise!
I don't get to much, yet I visit a lot of art studios near by.
Happy Birthday Celeste! Hope you had an enjoyable day of it!
The red head looks interesting..
Is that charcoal or paint?

GretaMichelle Joachim said...

Jealous. Haven't had a gallery anything in such a long time. I am glad though, that You had a great time, so I will live vicariously.