Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Ballerina

There was a great surprise in my life painting session today...a "real" ballerina. Getting her graceful shapes down in paint was a challenge. I did several starts. Finally, I did this oil sketch that approximated the pose. Even when things don't go exactly as planned, it's always GREAT to be able to look at a real live person and to try to translate what is seen onto a 2 dimensional surface. I was smart to abandon the idea of going for a very complete painting and to just concentrate on shapes. It is better to have one aspect of your effort be satisfying than 0! I was astonished how she held this pose with just a couple of short breaks for 3 hours! I hope that she'll pose for us again. She was a dream!




Painting: Celeste Bergin, Dancer, Oil on stretched canvas, 11 x 14 inches. ©2010.

17 comments:

Gregory Becker said...

I love it.

hwfarber said...

This looks like a dream. Great work--as usual.

Linda said...

How fortunate to have such a great model! Your sketch is very good. I really like it.

Caio Fernandes said...

i can't resist !!
everysingle detail .....

billspaintingmn said...

My granddaughter (4 yrs) is taking
ballet, her recital is this month.
I would have to work from photos
as she moves to much.
This painting reminded me of that.
Fun!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What a great opportunity, Celeste. Your drawing has such energy and grace.

Ralph said...

Celeste this is a lively and inspiring painting. Was this the colour she was waering or your choice because it brings a vibrancy to the image. Hope this finds you well.

Manon Doyle said...

She's awesome! Love the dream! Kudos to your model for holding this pose!!

AutumnLeaves said...

Oh my gosh, Celeste! This is amazingly beautiful. You've captured the ethereal and haunting beauty, grace, and elegance that I think of when I think of a ballerina. I think leaving the background as you have just lends to that here. Beautiful!!

Honor Martinez said...

I like how you achieved a sense of movement with the blurring of the background. I can just see her twirling.

Lokelani Forrest said...

Wonderful painting.

ArtSparker said...

Working from a model is so much fun.

Kaylyn said...

I like the very gestural quality of this. For some reason, I find that the grid in the background is a nice counterpoint to the implied motion of her still pose.

becky joy said...

Nice sketches. I like the posture.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

I can feel her stretch in the long line of her neck and back and the way her shoulders are placed. Well done! Kvan

Marie Wise said...

Your ballerina is lovely!

Suzanne said...

Great painting ,Celeste. The gesture line gives the perfect ballerina pose.