Friday, April 23, 2010

Red Coat II


Great News! I got a call today that my painting "Rush Hour Rain" was sold at O'Connor's! Whoever said that hanging work in restaurants is not a good idea is......uh.... wrong! Happily I will replace the sold work with this piece..."Red Coat II" (so named because I painted it from memory of a Red Coat sketch). I painted this expressively over a previous painting that was 100% letter forms. I allowed some of the words to show through. Oooh, this appeals to the old graphic designer in me...and yes, yes, I thought of Jim Dine as I painted it.


Painting: Celeste Bergin, Red Coat II/Alternate title: Read Coat, Oil on canvas panel, 30x40 inches. ©2010.



(Update: SOLD!)

10 comments:

hwfarber said...

Wherever your paintings hang, Celeste, they will sell. Yes, yes to your coat--simply beautiful.

Linda said...

Love this, Celeste! The letters showing through make this painting so interesting. Wish I could see it in person!

Kaylyn said...

The coat and old lettering are nice, but the hanger is spectacular!

I went back and looked at your first red coat...there's an interesting progression. Now I wonder how many red coats you can scare up around Portland? A series would be wonderful and perhaps a good way to make something of those old canvases sitting around.

-Don said...

The YOUNG graphic designer in me loves this, too... ;-) Nice job...

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

I get so tickled by your enthusiasm, Celeste! Congratulations on the sale and I must say that I love the print showing through too on this new piece! And I so love that we've been communicating through the commenting feature. Feels like conversations that don't miss a beat and I love that! I'm a tad scared that I'm going to feel older than I already do! LOLOLOL

Suzanne said...

Congradulations on your sale! I like your Red rain coat.

ArtSparker said...

I like the talking coat.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

The size of the photo doesn't give the full impact of the BIG size of this canvas! I look forward to seeing this beautiful red coat in person!

Congrats on the sale!! Super!

lilasvb said...

i really like this red coat

Kathy said...

Congratulations on the sale of your painting!! YAY :-) I like this one, too. Very interesting with the embedded text and beautiful red.