Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Today's Life painting session


We had a fantastic model today, a ballerina who stood perfectly still with her arms outstretched, holding onto a scarf. She had her weight just a little off center--but as often happens, I inadvertently "straightened her"... dang! It's a common problem.. painters must fight off that inner straightener. If we don't pay close enough attention we will straighten out anything that is not vertical. I pledge to establish any lean early next time! After my (failed) initial oil sketch of the over all pose I moved my easel to another location and painted her super-lovely face. I was more satisfied with this effort. One of the painters remarked during the session that our model looks a bit like Sargent's Madame X...another responded, "no way... Madame X was NOT good looking!" (I can see what painter #1 meant, but I agree with painter #2... our model seems prettier than Madame X).

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Prettier than Madame X, Oil on canvas panel, 16x20 inches. ©2010.

16 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Lovely portrait.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Lucky you to have a ballerina to paint again! She looks pretty to me, like a young Madame X, or her daughter. Something to that comparison, though.

Nice sketch! I like it a lot.

-Don said...

She's quite lovely, as is the portrait you painted of her. I always found Madame X strikingly attractive with her sharp features and lovely white skin - so I consider painter #1 as having paid your model a huge compliment - and painter #2 as having expounded upon it (although I disagree with her assessment of Madame X).

-Don

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

it is very nice, lovely works

Ralph said...

Beautiful model and a great rendition of her by a great artist. Forget the talk of ego you are a wonderful caring person. Thank you

AutumnLeaves said...

You've captured so beautifully the fine bones in her lovely face, Celeste! Stunning piece! Now I have to go look up Madame X though...I haven't a clue! And my dear, you are merely able to be my older sister; I don't have one so you fit the bill nicely!! LOLOL

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Interesting comparison to Madame X. I didn't think of it until you mentioned it. I actually first thought of Audrey Hepburn with that graceful neck and regal posture. Nice job, Celeste!

Kathy said...

My first impression also was "Madame X!" There's a very strong similarity and coyness. I really like the way you use color - the chartreuse in the upper left is a great and unexpected addition to this painting. Nice work!!

Linda said...

How fortunate to have such a beautiful ballerina to pose!! She is lovely and your portrait is, too.

hwfarber said...

Great title. You always seem to capture the essence and make it seem effortless. You are a true artist.

CARMELINA LOUNSBURY said...

I love your strokes...free and colourful!

great job! glad you decided to take on another aspect and paint her....so very pretty!

ciao bella
creative carmelina

TJ Lynde said...

You know, this is a perfect example of how clean spots of color (including the best backround) make a portrait, and make it feel alive. Good Job!

Kerri Settle said...

I love her expression, with its bit of a smirk. Funny enough my favorite part is the hair and the way you let the background show through in the middle. It's a great example of less being more.

r garriott said...

Very nice, by the way!

r garriott said...

So maybe she's Madame Y...?

Dan Kent said...

I see the similarity to X, but your model has such poise and bearing, dignity, and you captured it so beautifully!