Monday, May 17, 2010

Divergent thoughts

This is an oil sketch ...an idea for a "real" painting. If I follow through I will undoubtedly change the color of her top. I used only the paints I had left-over on my palette from a previous session and when I saw the red and pink together I thought of the Rajneeshees, an 80's cult in Oregon. As part of their "religious practice" Rajneeshees wore only reds, pinks and oranges (all together). Ugh! I imagine they liked being able to recognize another Rajneeshee from a block away, but it really wasn't a good look.
Rajneeshees in Oregon explanation

Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Before the performance, on paper, 11x14 inches.

13 comments:

ArtSparker said...

Heh, I remember when that happened in Oregon - I lived there for awhile - Oregon, not with the Rajneeshis. What a froth of color in this painting.

Caio Fernandes one more Lord's lamb said...

well , i am in love with this work .... hope you keep doing it .

Elizabeth Seaver said...

I love your sketch. I think it will make a great larger painting.

Julie Hill said...

Celeste, saw this on Facebook and loved it...so had to tell you here too!

Kerri Settle said...

That was an interesting read! I'd never heard of the Rajneeshees before. I'd love to see how this painting turns out if you decide to go beyond a sketch.

Sheila said...

I am impressed you even recalled the name of that cult. Wasn't the head henchwoman for that named "Sheela"?[gee I wonder why I would remember that?] ;o)

I love the Degas-esque delicacy and pose. I hope you follow through with the painting.

Kathy said...

Even when doing a sketch you've managed to create a diaphanous look! I'm impressed :-)

hwfarber said...

Your paintings of people always catch the right moment.

I read the Rajneeshee explanation. I remember them--probably from a Vanity Fair article. In D.C. we had the people dressed in orange--I believe they were the Krishnas.

-Don said...

What a blast from the past. I'd forgotten about the Rahneeshees... Do they even still exist since their founder died?

I love this little sketch. You've captured a moment in time beautifully - even with that orange top...

-Don

DJ said...

The sketchiness of this painting gives it such charm.
Keep this first beauty, in case the next "complete" one doesn't translate.
You're one talented lady~

Earthula said...

Oh! OH! It is wonderful just like this, Celeste.

All of it.. even the top. Perfect.

Gregory Becker said...

Wow

Fábio Cembranelli said...

Wonderful sketch, your work is unique.