Thursday, May 6, 2010

Bridge tender's house, Hawthorne Bridge

I painted a small study today on the sea wall next to the Hawthorne Bridge. I enjoyed trying to achieve that weird green of the Bridge tender's house. Some of my painting friends went on to Skidmore Fountain while I popped over to the Attic Gallery to see the David Dunlop exhibit. (Dunlop has a popular outdoor painting program on PBS). I got to visit with Diana Faville (the Gallery owner)--wow, was she warm and welcoming even though she doesn't know me from Adam and I was in my paint clothes. Diana told me that Dunlop has ties to Oregon and will be giving a "gallery talk" on Saturday. I hope I can get to that. I was impressed by how the Attic has lots of work up on the walls, but not so much to be overwhelming. Dunlop's work is plenty interesting...huge sailing ships where you don't expect them (like in wheat fields) and many paintings painted on unusual surfaces, such as gold leaf and aluminum. Well so...I had another artful day---what did you do with your Thursday?

Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Bridge tender's house, Hawthorne Bridge, canvas panel, 8x8 inches.


11 comments:

-Don said...

Thanks for sharing your artful day. I'm just now getting back from hanging several pieces for display tomorrow in our First Friday event in Downtown Las Vegas. My artful day consisted of preparing several prints, preparing price tags, trimming them all, boxing everything up, looking longingly at my easel, delivering everything, hanging it on the walls, setting up my table for prints, coming home, looking longingly at my easel, sitting down at the computer and reading about your artful day... Now, I'm going to bed...

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

I just love this piece. I think partly because not too long ago, I took a photograph of just this image from some contraption spanning the Illinois River not too far from my house. It isn't on a bridge, but just a big metal structure of some sort that goes across. Hmmm...now I'm curious. Anyway, this is such a cool piece and I find myself loving that this bridge tender's house is green!

仰士 said...

TAHNKS FOR YOUR SHARING~~~VERY NICE ........................................

Dana Chabino said...

I like the green you came up with!

Best Wishes!

Kathy said...

This painting is very appealing - the elevated architecture has a vulnerability and sturdiness to it that is so interesting. It's a little mysterious.

Linda said...

Nice sketch, Celeste.

I visited the Attic Gallery site - wow! Lots of really good artists. It was fun to see David Dunlop's work. I like the ship paintings with their huge sails. I checked my PBS station and his show starts in June here. Hooray! I'm really looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up!

Melissa Ekberg Fernandes said...

Celeste , this post is so cool . i liked a lot the outdoors scenes .
the "sketch" is pretty good .
wonderful tons of green .

kisses .
Melissa .

Art with Liz said...

Wow this is great, seeing you in action and the result!

hwfarber said...

Okay--it's a study, but it's a beautiful study.

Looks like you're a tourist attraction. I enjoyed the visit to the Attic--interesting horses.

Perry Brown said...

Do you ever slow down? Nice study, Celeste!

billspaintingmn said...

I'll bet everyone of those kids watching you paint does an art project some time soon!
Very encourageing, and inspiring to to see this!
(I'm encouraged and inspired to see this!~ Thanks Celeste!)