Saturday, May 29, 2010

It's not really my "blue period"...but

I did this (not-much-resemblance) alla prima self portrait a couple of weeks ago. I decided the portrait looked more like Carol Kane than me. Now that it is dry.. just for fun I gave ol' Carol the Phthalo blue treatment. Like a trip to the spa..she is rejuvenated. Here's what you do..find some old oil painting that you don't care much about, rub some galkyd medium & paint into the surface...voila! it's interesting! I used blue because it was out on my palette. I could have as easily used something warm. If you don't like the new version just remove the paint and medium with mineral spirits. No harm done.

I also got the best news! My Rooster painting sold in the Art & Agriculture show. Thank you Columbia Art Gallery and art supporters/collectors! Hooray! (I just had a thought...my Mom would say--"oh come, on...... don't crow about it!" haha) She had a great sense of humor.

Top Painting: Celeste Bergin, Blue, Oil on canvas panel, 8 x 10 inches. ©2010.
Bottom Oil sketch: Celeste Bergin, just-keeping-my-hand-in plein air, Oil on canvas panel, 8x6 inches. ©2010.

13 comments:

wit 1996 said...

Very strong,plein air!!
ciaoo, Willy.

Harry Kent said...

i love it! ... but then, i'm a bit of a sucker for blue self-portraits :)) ... but seriously, it is rather fabulous, Celeste

PAMO said...

The blue took your self portrait to a whole new level!! It's wonderful! Congrats on the Rooster painting selling- I loved that one too. I'm envious of it's new owner.

hwfarber said...

Your blue face is great. The Rooster was one of my favorites--so colorful and cocky. You're entitled to crow.

Do you ever regret selling a painting?

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks wit, Harry, PAMO and hwfarber--! hwfarber, no ..I am never sad to part with a painting--I love when they get a "new home". (I have done a few things that I liked so well that I didn't offer them for sale).

-Don said...

Crow away, sister... you deserve it! I love phthalo girl. She's so cool even though she's so blue... or is it because she's so blue?

-Don

Ralph said...

Congratulations on the sale but I am not surprised. I love the portrait it captures the inner you. There is that beautiful wry smile.

AutumnLeaves said...

Love your thoughts on your mom. Not positive, but it looks like your mouth my friend. Is Carol Kane the woman who played Latka's wife on the old Taxi show? Anyway, I love the blue overlay! Must say that 'hawfarber's' "cocky" comment made me cackle. LOLOLOL

Dan Kent said...

Congratulations on the sale of the rooster..I looked back. It is an amazing painting, and I am not surprised. Also love the 20 minute sketch in the last post - blows my mind that it is only 20 minutes. I actually have a drawing of a woman that I did on canvas a long time ago, unpainted, that I am saving for when I start up acrylics again - which I hope will be soon - that I picture in blue tints. I admire your freedom with color.

Linda Popple said...

Nice blue portrait!! I never realized you were so colorful, Celeste!!

Congratulations on your rooster sale!

Manon Doyle said...

I just love, love the blue painting!! Gorgeous!!

Mary Jane said...

That rooster was one heck of a brilliant painting and you have every right to feel proud. Whoever bought it will most certainly enjoy that fellow for a long time.
Congratulations! But won't you miss him just a little?

Momo Luna said...

I love the rough stroke on the plein air painting a lot. And the blue is gorgeous! What a beautiful blue it is. And a wonderful expression on the face.....

Sweet greetz!