Sunday, May 30, 2010

Memorial Day Weekend


Today I went to the Lone Fir Cemetery. Because it is Memorial Day weekend there are a lot of flowers on the graves. I don't "know" anyone interred there, I just stopped in. I do that sometimes--it is a beautiful place. I might have been seeing things, but I swear Lance Armstrong ran by pushing a double stroller. Yes. Lance Armstrong. Lone Fir Cemetery is also a city park.
I found a handmade wreath that was constructed, much like a "mud pie"..flowers and greenery placed into a circle onto an old grave. I sketched it in color. I also had a chance to draw myself and also a pooch waiting patiently outside a grocery store...just in pen.





7 comments:

Linda Popple said...

I like your sketches. The simple wreath says so much. Happy Memorial Day!

DJ said...

Nice pen work.
Thanks for sharing these quiet moments. Meaningful in their own way...

-Don said...

A lovely Memorial Weekend post. I especially like your drawing "Loyal Companion".

The squirrel made my smile. He looks like you've caught him in the act of something shifty...

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

I am having a hard time thinking of the words to express my feelings upon seeing this lovely wreath you've painted, Celeste. My immediate impression was Christmas and what a beautiful old-fashioned wreath this was! Then I read your words and more thoughts and emotions poured in that I cannot even express. Maybe it was your use of the word "old fashioned" in conjunction with the grave and the description of it being almost like a mud pie...Just thoughts and images of a much earlier time...lost love...much much more. I really can't quite verbalize...Weird that this has touched me so...I think it is quite lovely, truly. Love your sketch of you and the dog too...

Momo Luna said...

The wreath looks 'loose' i like that a lot. And nice sketches.
I also love to wander on cemetaries myself. Because of the silence and peace.

Dan Kent said...

Love the pooch drawing!

Caio Fernandes said...

wait , did you go to the cemetery to paint the flowers ?
hahah!!
this is my friend , Ladys and Gentlemans !!! that is the reason i love her .
and this is a cool work too .