Monday, May 24, 2010

Monday Monday!

I just learned that my painting, Yesterday's News (pictured below) won third prize in Pittock Mansion's exhibit Uncertain Times: Contemporary Art Views on the Fate of the Newspaper. The exhibition runs from July 17 through November 14, 2010, with an opening reception the evening of Friday, July 16. I'll have three pieces in the exhibit. One piece, possibly my favorite of those submitted, is not a painting, it is a graphic design. I was especially pleased that the graphic piece was accepted.
How might Henry Pittock feel to learn that newspapers are being replaced by online news? (From what I've read about him, I have a feeling he would have found a way to "go with it").
I did something interesting today --I copied Charles Philip Brooks' "letter to the student of painting" into my sketchbook. I read somewhere that if you want something to sink in, it is a good idea to write it out in your own hand (it filled 6--6 x 9 pages). Still on the subject of Henry Pittock..he would likely approve, he was an advocate for being the best you can be!
Here's the whole letter--Whether or not you are a "student" or a seasoned veteran--it will uplift and hearten you. (Have you read anything that helped you make the decision to stay on course? Care to share what it is?)


Top Painting: Celeste Bergin, Pale Landscape, Oil on canvas panel, 7 x 5 inches. ©2010.
Bottom Painting: Celeste Bergin, Yesterday's News, Oil on canvas panel, 12 x 9 inches. ©2010.
Thank you to Eric Jacobsen, Robert Genn and especially author Charles Philip Brooks, for this letter:
Letter to the Student

15 comments:

-Don said...

Sweet! Congrats on the well-deserved award and the inclusion of all three works in the exhibit. I'd love to see the graphic piece. (surprised?)

Thanks for the "Letter to the Student". It is inspiring.

I'll admit that I cannot think of anything that I've read to keep me on course. Maybe I'm not as deep as I want everyone - including myself - to believe...

-Don

Becky Joy said...

Nice little painting and congratulations on the piece at the Pittock Mansion.

Gregory Becker said...

Congratulations, on your painting.

AutumnLeaves said...

Congratulations on your win, Celeste! (No surprise to me as your work is stunning always.) This little painting (well, it looks little on the screen) is beautiful! And the letter is just what I needed to read this a.m. Sometimes I want to throw in the paintbrush. Best to keep on keepin' on as I seem to have most of his other thoughts already within myself.

Kathy said...

Congratulations, Celeste!! You must be elated. What a great letter!

TJ Lynde said...

Congratulations Celeste!

Creative Carmelina said...

congrat's...that is a stunning piece...i love your work, so it's no surprise you would receive an honour!

ciao bella!
creative carmelina

hwfarber said...

Congratulations on winning a prize for Yesterday's News.

A great letter. I think you exemplify at the part,"... "search the world with a benevolent eye for every subtle beauty....." I believe art is about seeing.

PAMO said...

Congratulations Celeste on your latest accomplishment!! You are SUCH a talented painter and artist- and an all around WONDERFUL human being!! Your success is hard earned and well deserved. Your talent and skill awe me daily.
Thank you too for posting "Letter to the Student".
YOU and your blog inspire me Celeste. You have a lightness of heart and a dedication of spirit that is purely infectious. Thank you!!!!

Bruce Sherman said...

Hi Celeste!... Congratulations on your latest achievement-"Good News!"... for sure... and well deserved!
Both pieces here demonstrate the very kind of personal and intimate relationship"... that one gets... only from holding and thumbing through a sweet smelling...fresh newspaper or book!

Thanks for your wonderful comments and accolades for my site.... much appreciated!

"You" obviously just don't "talk" the talk... "You" very obviously... "walk the walk" as well!

Good Painting... and Good Luck at the show!
Warm regards,
Bruce

Linda Popple said...

Congratulations, Celeste!! Well deserved as your work is soooo good!

Thanks for sharing the letter. I found it to be very inspiring and I want to share it with some friends of mine, one who is struggling and I think she would benefit from these writings.

Dan Kent said...

Whoa - don't know how I did this, but I commented at the wrong post, so here it is again:

Congratulations! I'm glad you scratched out this one after you tripped over your pile of junk (lol!) When I see your work, and your productivity, I am inspired. I love the impressionistic brush strokes. You are a magnificent artist and I love to visit your site. And I remember "Yesterday's News" from an older post, and I still like it (I am, as you know, partial to works showing people doing what they do).

As for the "Letter to the Student of Painting", I have been weighed down lately by some events involving my autistic son - today I am utterly exhausted. As such, I love the line about freeing the mind and creation. It came at the right time for me. Thank you.

Rachel Harvey said...

Congratulations!

Suzanne said...

Congradulations, Celeste , on winning your award ! It's a great painting, with the theme of newsprint on our hands.
Your pthalo blue was a success ...but maybe I'm conmmenting in the wrong box. I'm going to read your article. As I learned in class years ago, often writing down the message rather than just listening , helps significantly in learning.

Bill Sharp said...

Congratulations, Celeste. It's a beautiful painting. I think I may see some of Elio's influence in it, yes?