Monday, May 3, 2010

Monday!

My artist friend Karen E. Lewis had an errand to run in Eugene today. Eugene is a 2 hour drive and Karen asked me if I'd like to throw in with her for the trip and paint on the way back. It was a rainy morning..but I figured what the heck! When we got to Eugene we went to a Thai restaurant for lunch, a bookstore, and two galleries. I liked work we saw by a Eugene artist, Jerry Ross. Karen and I admired the 60's style pine frames that he uses, especially pale and spartan...the frames seemed perfect with his colorful beach scenes. We went to a park in Springfield to paint. Even though it rained a bit, it was a great location. I painted what could be described as cloud dominant paintings. When we left Karen's van made a distinctly clunk-y noise. It became apparent that we were going no where fast and it could not accelerate. (Karen's van had a heart, however... it could have left us in the center of the busy intersection..instead it found just enough strength to limp into a Walgreen's parking lot). Karen called AAA and then she rented a Kia. We stopped for Mexican food on the way back. It was a good day--despite the car trouble.
(Photo at top) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Karen wears Black, Oil on canvas panel, 6x8 inches. ©2010.
(Third Photo below), Painting: Celeste Bergin, Clouds over Springfield, Oil on canvas panel, 6 x 8 inches. ©2010.





11 comments:

Kathy said...

What an adventure! I'm glad all ended well. Your painting is wonderfully expressive and I'm impressed by its simplicity. You certainly captured a mood.

Susan Roux said...

Celeste you have such a gift painting figures in a tight dark space. I'm so drawn to those. You capture such a delightful feeling where isolation or despair could be the result. I enjoy your work very much.

You had such a good attitude for car trouble! Glad you enjoyed your day.

Do you ever take time to breath?

AutumnLeaves said...

Celeste, that painting is fabulous! It reminds me of an old time English scene, darkness and the top hat...Just gorgeous. Your bottom photo...I have one so very similar that I took on a stormy day here that it is eerie! I love how you embrace the Monday with an exclamation point. It sounds like a great day to me; wish I could have come along for the ride!

Roberto Marín said...

Hi Celeste, I am surprised about the lots of works that you do, and all excellents works!!

ArtSparker said...

Your friend sounds very decisive, sounds like a wonderful day also.

billspaintingmn said...

Every cloud has a silver lining. I'll bet it was fun! Even the unexspected stuff. When your with friends, good things happen.

Manon Doyle said...

I'm glad it was a good day despite the car problems!!
Love the painting!!

hwfarber said...

The painting is perfect. The bottom photo (car shadow) is beautiful.

PAMO said...

You have a remarkable ability to find the joy in life. It comes out in your paintings. I haven't commented lately- but I've been looking because your work is always so intriguing. I'll drop you a line whenever I get my blog up again.

Perry Brown said...

Great story and a nice painting, Celeste!

Dan Kent said...

Love the color in your painting, the strong impression of light, the rainy atmosphere and the composition. But the photo of the van being towed away - that is priceless!