Monday, May 17, 2010

Oaks Park, watercolor sketch 7 x 5, Celeste Bergin

Old Azalea, watercolor sketch, 5 x 7, Celeste Bergin

Carrie & I painted in the Oaks Park amusement park today...(it is part of a regular Portland City Park and "deserted" on weekdays). It is an old place (built in 1905) and I couldn't help but feel the similarities between it and the Ringling Museum in Sarasota, Florida. What is it about an old amusement park that feels sort of beautifully bizarre? Did they ever have a "side show" here, complete with a rubber man or a bearded woman? Today was a scouting mission, I want to go back with my oil paints.




8 comments:

Kathy said...

I have the same feeling about amusement parks - especially when they're deserted. It's like an old horror movie, and yet there's beauty there, too. Your sketches are great!

AutumnLeaves said...

I so love amusement park paintings, Celeste! Someone I used to follow (I can't remember who it was but when I got a new computer I had to re-find everyone and I may well have lost her) did some beautiful amusement park paintings. I can't wait to see what you do here!! And yes, I DO remember the Niagara Falls skit with Moe Howard..."Niagara Falls?! Slowly I turn...step by step..." LOLOL

ArtSparker said...

Oh, what a wonderful place. I went to school in Sarasota for a couple of years - the Ringling Mansion was used in the film of Great Expectations with Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow a few years back. They used CGI to age it into decay.

hwfarber said...

What a great place and I love the mirror photo. Wonderful sketches and I agree about the "feeling" in amusement parks.

billspaintingmn said...

Hmmm, some how Celeste I thought you were a bit taller! Ha!
Very amusing.(I saw your car painting after reading Franks blog, and want to say wow! I am impressed, I like cars, and paintings of them!) You should paint more cars Celeste.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Gorgeous movement in this -- if looks windy! I am eager to see what you will do with your oils!

Gregory Becker said...

Beautiful Azalea sketch. I really feel happy when I look at it. You captured something marvelous in that sketch. That is Art.

DJ said...

Awesome sketches. Love the spontaneity achieved on location. And a great opportunity...