Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Torch singer


Kira modeled for us again for our life painting session. She posed as a jazz singer and I had an exquisite view of her with a light to the side emphasizing her strong features. I believe I made her nose too prominent in the portrait version, but despite this, I have elected to leave it be. I took good photos of her and I can try again in the future. Three hours is a long time to pose like this....Kira did a fantastic job.

P.S... Musically speaking...I am now in love with these guys from the University of Oregon. Watch the video below, you will be impressed.


Top Painting: Celeste Bergin, Torch singer, Oil on canvas panel, 16 x 16 inches. ©2010.
Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Torch singer II, Oil on canvas panel, 11 x 14 inches.

13 comments:

Linda said...

Honestly you have the best models! And their poses are always so interesting.

I like both paintings, Celeste!

The video is awesome! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!! So fun!!

Jani Lori said...

They are great! Thanks for sharing! Love the Torch singer also!

martinealison said...

Très jolie peinture, vous avez domptez avec votre touche le modèle la rendant très sexy.

-Don said...

Kira must be superhuman to pose like that for 3 hours. I doubt I could have made 3 minutes... Great job of capturing her pose and the dynamic lighting. I enjoyed checking out "On the Rocks". I'm not sure but they seem to be caught in a bad romance...

Ed Cooper said...

I like these ones celeste! We never really do much drawing of models in outfits in our little life drawing group! I think I might suggest it!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Love the torch singer paintings, esp. II. It has that loose, sketchy feel that you do so well. Aren't you lucky to have such good models available to you?!

wit 1996 said...

Intense real,
fast and focused!
nice,grtngs,Willy.

AutumnLeaves said...

These are fabulous paintings, Celeste. Kira reminds me a bit of Katey Sagal. The title is perfect and sets a mood...smokey...Harlem Nights...Casablanca...

Thanks too for the video. Those guys rock!

Kathy said...

Your paintings are wonderful! I love the second one, especially, and would love to see it fully developed. The Oregon students are fantastic! Thanks for the good laugh.

Suzanne said...

That's a great portrait. You capture the emotion of singing. But what a challenge for the model given the long pose.
What a find on YouTube. Loved that singing and dancing!

hwfarber said...

The portrait is fantastic.

ArtSparker said...

The standing pose is wonderfully expressive.

DJ said...

Great work on the torch singer...I appreciate the music theme you have going with the Oregon students. Their choreography and unified timing was amazing; love that they allowed multiple singers to be spot-lighted, also.