Sunday, May 16, 2010

Visiting with the Gorge Artists

Today I went to Hood River to the Gorge Artists Open Studio. I visited with four artists...I wish it could have been more, but I ran out of time. My first visit was with oil painter Cathleen Rehfeld...she's a favorite! 2nd I visited with Melanie Thompson who makes beautiful unusual pottery in tropical colors. My 3rd visit was with Rachel Harvey, an outstanding Gorge landscape painter. At the end of the day I visited with photographer John Maher. If you ever get a chance to attend an "open studio" you should do it! I have never been disappointed. Every artist I have ever visited shares "insider tips" with me..not to mention they often have brownies and coffee! You just have to do it.

Cathleen Rehfeld showed me her new Langnickel brushes, blurb book, artist trading card paper for painting on and she shared her paint preferences (some Daniel Smith, some Classic, she mixes brands). Her paintings are world class!

Melanie Thompson talked about being disciplined...staying inside to work even when the weather is tempting hers outdoors. "I have a lot of shows coming up, I have to do the work", she said. "What's more, once I get started, I am always happy to get down to work".

John Maher (pronounced Marr) is dedicated to completing a large scale art installation of over 100 multi-colored fruit ladders along I-84 in the Columbia River Gorge between Hood RIver and Biggs. When you drive along in the summer of 2011 and see "running fruit ladders" you'll know you are looking at John's project; one that will benefit small family farms and sustainable agriculture.Rachel Harvey showed me her new innovative framing system and also her small works painted on paper. She organizes her time carefully (to paint), sticking to a schedule that includes both outdoor and indoor painting.

Melanie Thompson Pottery

Photographer Datnoff's car is a work of art itself

(Newport Bridge, a print I bought from John Maher, my acquisition of the day)

9 comments:

-Don said...

How generous to share your blogspace with all of these artists. Thanks for sharing their insights. The photographer sure has a cool car...

-Don

-Don said...

I'm glad you clarified which photographer... I thought you meant the car was yours... 8-}

AutumnLeaves said...

Ah Celeste! What a fun day this looks to have been! I also follow Cathleen's blog and enjoy it very much. Her hair is absolutely stunning in this photo! I wish I could not be quite so flighty with my art and just keep at it.

Kathy said...

What a great tour! Thank you for sharing this. I've been on many artist studio tours over the years and find them rewarding and educational.

Susan Roux said...

It was all too fun! Thanks for sharing your lovely experience with us.

How do you plan it all and fit it all in??? (do you have clones?)

You amaze me...

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Great post, as usual! I agree with Don, you are generous to share your blog space with others.

The smallest Open Studios I was only 8 artists in the small town of Sointula in British Columbia. The artists were all happy to see an unfamiliar face, too, and eagerly talked about their processes of art making. You're always at home with you're with another artist.

Rachel Harvey said...

Thank you, Celeste, for featuring my on your blog; I feel honored! As far as anything I shared, most everything I do is derivative in some way from someone else, and you are extremely informational, yourself. So back atcha, times four! You are a doll!

Harnett-Hargrove said...

Thanks for the vicarious introductions! -J

Caio Fernandes one more Lord's lamb said...

what a lovely post !!!