Sunday, June 27, 2010

Degas in the dark & a report from Lake Oswego Festival of the Arts

This is an oil sketch on toned paper. I just used the paints I had left on my palette. Painting is a lot like drawing when it is handled "quickly". It's from a reference of a portrait of Degas.

I got to visit the Lake Oswego Festival of Arts show (and fair) today. The show included an invitational show ("the Chronicle"), a big non-juried art show in the large tent behind the Lakewood Center and another juried art "fair" at the George Rogers park down the street. I enjoyed looking at the variety of art styles...and it was especially fun to visit with my friends Miriam Selby and Rachel Harvey. I've never participated in the Lake Oswego show, but next year I might put it on my calendar...it's beautifully organized and participation by both artists and art supporters is high. On the way back to the car I talked with a man who purchased two works by Wayne Chin. "I just could not pass them up, he said, I couldn't leave without buying both of these."

(Top) Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Degas in the dark, 2010, Oil on paper, 6 x 9 inches.

8 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

I like the paint Celeste

AutumnLeaves said...

I just adore this portrait, Celeste. The colors are perfect. There is such an old world feel to the piece for me, maybe because I've been studying portraits by the masters for my art course. I also love art festivals! Did you set up a booth or were you a visitor (I might have missed it in my reading)? Now I want to see Wayne Chin's art!

Casey Klahn said...

I have seen some images by Degas on blue paper - I like it. I've heard good things about the LO art fair, but do they have a website?

My local fair doesn't have one, and they do fine, BTW.

PAMO said...

The festival sounds wonderful! Thanks for the link and slide show too. Your quick portrait has depth and mystery. I like it very much!!

hwfarber said...

I always love your portraits and this in no exception.

Dan Gliubizzi said...

Nice Degas! One of my favorites. I am trying to get to the Degas/Picasso show at the Metropolitan this week,

Dan Kent said...

Love this Degas sketch! I am so behind on your blog. Love how you are working with portraits.

Rachel Harvey said...

I think you caught me when I was saying, "hey, Celeste!" in surprise and pleasure to see you there... it was a very nice surprise.