Friday, June 25, 2010

Inspired to try the knife again

A while back some of my artist friends and I watched a Richard Schmid video together. In the video Schmid discussed his palette knife and demonstrated a beautiful straight building wall with it. (We all loved that part!) Friend and teacher Thomas Kitts also showed us a plein air painting he did recently that employed great knife-work in the foreground. I thought I would dust off my knife today too. I used it for the building in this painting. It will take awhile to feel comfortable with an unfamiliar tool. I know I will benefit from practicing more with the knife.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Farm, 2010, Oil on gessoed hardboard, 12 x 9 inches.

7 comments:

-Don said...

You may have had to dust off the palette knife, but there was obviously no rust on it... Spectacular job!

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

Celeste, I'm losing track of my favorites, but this one sure is right up with them. I remember watching Bob Ross wielding his palette knife and always being amazed at how well it works as a tool and as a brush in oil paintings. I still continue to be awed by it. I love this whole composition. It really sets a mood and I find myself wanting to walk on back into those beautiful trees in the distance behind the barn building. What a gorgeous piece!

Marie Theron said...

Very lovely, the sunny atmosphere makes a person want to be out there, Celeste!

SUSAN RODEN said...

Light, airy piece Celeste. Love the looseness you have achieved.

PAMO said...

Gorgeous!!! Great detail and of course your composition skills are stellar. Love it!

Kaia Thomas said...

Really, really love this, Celeste!

padmaja said...

It is so relaxing to see this one.. sort of soft feel to the whole composition.. now I am inspired to try it out!