Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Life painting session --"N"

During life painting sessions I normally do one fairly quick full figure study and then I move on to a portrait. The model was partially nude and wore a blue skirt, (I didn't paint the skirt in the study). The rainy weather actually was a factor today, because the light shifted around through the open windows in the back of the room. It was different because sometimes my canvas suddenly looked "dark". Despite the challenge, I was pleased enough...I managed a good resemblance.

Top Painting: Celeste Bergin, "N", Oil on canvas panel, 20 x 16 inches. ©2010.
Bottom Oil sketch: Celeste Bergin, "N, standing", Oil on canvas panel, 11 x 14 inches. ©2010.



7 comments:

DJ said...

Celeste, I adore the light on the hair! You achieved a wonderful sheen and that nose is structured beautifully...
It would have really bothered me if my canvas was going dark occasionally. Great work under "inconvenient" conditions.

padmaja said...

Amazingly well done work on her hair and also the structure of her face..feel like you got her personality with that mouth.. I can only imagine working on a rainy day with less light.. I wouldnt even try it, hats off!

ArtSparker said...

Lovely color harmonies.

Kathy said...

She glows! Beautiful work, and I like the light reflected under the chin.

AutumnLeaves said...

I love that light blue-green background in the full figure study, Celeste. And she is beautiful in both of your pieces. I am learning quickly how light affects my ability to work on a piece...if not how light affects the subject itself. Gorgeous work, as always. (I want her shiny, sleek hair!)

Harry Kent said...

love the serene intensity, and so admire how quickly you establish volume and form with such an economy of marks .... beautiful work, Celeste.

hwfarber said...

Both beautiful paintings; I especially like "N." I totally agree with Harry Kent's comment.