Sunday, June 20, 2010

A portrait ...that looks like someone other than the subject


Some time ago our art discussion group did a "portrait swap" type thing. We were supposed to do our own portrait and one of our partner. My partner was/is Mary L. The project sort of died on the vine...but there was a recent idea to resurrect it and put the results on our group blog. So, I unearthed the painting I had started of Mary L. It really doesn't look much like her at all. About the only thing that does look like her is her hair color and style... Got that right. Strangely, the portrait looks a great deal like accused murderer Casey Anthony. I don't know exactly what to make of that.
If I revisit another painting of Mary L I need a better reference than I had or she needs to come sit for me.


Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Mary L looks like Casey Anthony, Oil on canvas panel, 12 x 12 inches.

6 comments:

hwfarber said...

Nice portrait. It does look a bit like Casey and I don't know what that means. Surprises can be fun.

PAMO said...

You clearly have a memory for faces. I wonder if subconsciously you were thinking of the case. Interesting to consider. I love the way you handled her hair.

Caio Fernandes said...

i like these colors .

Gary Keimig said...

I think it came out very nice Celeste. Definitely worth resurecting.

Carrie H. said...

I think that there is a familiarity of your intended subject but the proportions are off. So What! The first time I took a portrait workshop in Southern Oregon, the instructor said 'don't paint anyone you know at first, especially family members; it will freeze you up from learning the important stuff.' I think you have shot straight through to the important stuff.

Kathy said...

Oh, my. I didn't think about that resemblance until you mentioned it. It does look like her!