Sunday, July 4, 2010

Art that I own...that wasn't done by me--I'm a collector!

I think most artists admire other artists..I'm no exception. For many years I didn't have anything much on my walls except for my own work, but recently I realized that now I have a good start on a great art collection. Some things I have purchased, some things have been trades..I love all these treasures (yes, even this questionable and "ugly" Dali). Welcome to my my collection, (scroll down, it's in random order):

This is a signed lithograph by Salvador Dali. it was purchased in 1978 in the Bahamas. It is from the "Pergatory" panels of Dante's Inferno. I have a certificate of authentication, however, Dali is the most forged artist of all time. In order to be confirmed that it is attributed to Dali I would have to have it appraised by a firm that is accredited to authenticate in Dali. It's spendy and I don't know if I want to make the investment in knowing. This is the first "real art" (if it is) that I ever owned. I realize that it is very er...novel but the strangeness of it thoroughly impresses me,  along with the fact that it may be an actual Dali.

I bought this painting on eBay a couple of years ago. Thanks to my blogging friend hwfarber, I learned this was painted by Arturs Upelniek/Upelnieks (born 1911). Here is a link to a post about one of my favorite acquisitions. (An interesting thing that I later learned about Mr. Upelniek was that he was once lost at sea, and many of his paintings depict a relentlessly dark and foreboding ocean). Upelniek immigrated from Latvia and became a member of the Ashcan school.


A beautiful piece of pottery by Kurtis Piltz (no website). I traded a painting for it.
I use it as an umbrella stand or to hold huge arrangements.
(The Kitty cat, Daisy is also a "prized possession").


Life casting, by Peny Wallace (I bought this in 2009, it is of Peny's daughter)


Another of my most favorite paintings, by Eric Jacobsen
I acquired it very close to this event.


A classic Eric Jacobsen landscape (isn't it beautiful!?) Acquired in 2009


Small painting by Eric Jacobsen purchased at Eric's studio sale


Small painting II by Eric Jacobsen purchased at Eric's studio sale


Brenda Boylan pastel (I traded a small painting for this)


Eric Bowman Acquired 2010 (I feel so lucky to own this!)


A study by Crawfurd Adamson (Gift from Crawfurd and Broderick Gallery)


Bonnie White, Gorge artist (purchased at Gorge White House)


Hanging vase by Margaret Synan-Russell


Painting purchased during Cathleen Rehfeld's Studio Sale


Cathleen Rehfeld (artist trading card, I still have to do mine)


Mosaic purchased at Bread and Ink Emilie Machon (no website)
The artist told me that when that cup accidently broke she announced,
"No problem, I will just use it in my next mosaic!"


Painting purchased during Portland Open Studios, Virginia Leonnig
... see the WPA influence?


Mark Larsen (trade for a painting of mine)


Kimberly Kent, purchase of one of her plein air encaustics (during her studio sale)


Kimberly Kent, (Gift) Abstract Expressionist Oil Painting


Mike Rangner, purchased at the Gorge White House


Scott L. Hendrie, Watercolor & Ink portrait of "me" (gift)



Todd Smith Oil painting purchased at Todd's solo show at Gorge White House...(it's TOO good!)


Elizabeth See, Purchased at Columbia Art Gallery 10/10



Carolyn Rondthaler, (Watercolor), purchase from her show at First Unitarian Church, summer 2011


Eric Bowman, purchased in his "Collector's show" December 2011 (I ♥ this painting! )


Michael Lindstrom (Oil painting trade) My newest acquisition---Plein air, so thrillingly "fresh"

This is not absolutely everything..but it is a pretty good representation. It was fun posting them to share with you! What about you...do you collect art --what do you have on your walls?
 It is a good thing ...to acquire art!

7 comments:

-Don said...

What a sweet collection. Thanks for sharing. I really enjoyed checking out all the links you posted to go with these beauties. Thanks for that as well. I notice that Peny Wallace has a series called Life of Celeste. Any relation?

Hope you had a great Independence Day!

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

Now I have a question for you, my friend...Do you buy art because of the artist or for the art itself? I have a fairly large collection of pieces that I've purchased or that has been given to me over the past few years as well. I find that my taste is rather eclectic. I was thinking of doing a similar post to this one (an eerie coincidence, if I do say so myself!)...Anyway, I think I choose pieces based on the art itself; it has to speak to me, I guess. In that vein, I must say that the life cast of Penny's daughter just grabbed me instantly. My first response was laughter (not make fun of laughter, but surprise laughter, I think, at the unusual-ness of the piece!), and yet I am strangely drawn to it again and again. What a neat piece to have!

Caio Fernandes said...

what a great post !1 you do have a lovely treasure there .

Dan Kent said...

A beautiful collection! There is a large collection of Ashcan paintings near me at the Fort Lauderdale museum of art. I like the dark realism in these artists. I am partial to the Eric Jacobsen works. They remind me a bit of another artist I like..you.

hwfarber said...

Wonderful collection, Celeste. I have a few of my own pieces hanging; I much prefer having other artists' pieces on my walls--or even stored in closets. (I buy; then worry about space for hanging.)

I like the crow story. Yes, I think he knows you in another realm.

B Boylan said...

I remember that trade at the Kingstad paint-out! I was so thrilled to get one of yours to have of my own! I have a small collection growing too: Donna Trent, pastel; Allen Greene, watercolor; Beth O'Mahony & Victoria Christen,ceramics; and of course, you, Celeste Bergin, oils!

Maris said...

Artur Upelnieks is not Russian but Latvian painter who run away from his Homeland at 1944 to Germany and after that to NY. He passed away in 1994