Monday, July 26, 2010

Costumed model session at "The Canvas Art Bar & Bistro"

I ran late tonight and had all manner of "issues" with my tripod. I also spilled my painting medium (good thing the floor is concrete)! My contact lenses gave me some grief. I have more in my litany of problems, but I will spare you. Despite all the troubles, I loved our model at the Canvas. She has a lovely square jaw and the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" hat was fun to consider. I did one version of the model in just blue and white. I know I could improve on both paintings..but I usually don't return to them. I have learned that to do so, for me, often compromises "what was". To see the rest of the artist's interpretations go HERE.



(Top) Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Safari Thoughts, oil on 12 x 16 panel
2nd Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Monochromatic Model, oil on 11 x 14 panel

6 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

I think you did a most awesome job with this figure painting session, Celeste. I so enjoyed seeing your efforts over on BtS. These truly are lovely pieces and you did this beautiful model proud!

Casey Klahn said...

I followed the links and that was fun. Great hat sketch - it sits right there like it should (which isn't easy to do).

hwfarber said...

There is a truthfulness and freshness in "what was." I like a bit of "offness;" it's what the camera can't catch.

On first look, I thought "Marlboro Woman."

Harry Kent said...

i really like the freshness, the Zen thing of getting it in one go rather than revisiting and over-working. And really love the blue trousers, the way the paint does what it enjoys doing rather than being bullied into place. I can see the sheer joy of painting in the brush marks. Great stuff, Celeste.

Joan Breckwoldt said...

I've been away on vacation so it's nice to get back and catch up on your blog. You've been busy! I love your sketches, you have a very sensitive way of making your strokes and I like the wash you use. Ha, that's hard to do succesfully, I've tried on some of my sketches. Your figures are lovely too, I am inspired by your monochromatic one.
Joan

PAMO said...

Both of these are beautiful!! No need to return. That's what I love about your work- you complete and you move on. And on occasion you paint over with an entirely different image. We, as artists, can all learn a lot from you!!