Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Day 2, Elio Camacho workshop, Location: Marina, Washougal, WA

After Elio's morning talk we had to go about finding our subject matter and getting down to business. It was a challenge because it was blazing hot and very windy and everything that looked like a good subject would have me baking in the sun. I decided upon a spot under a shade tree and painted the Puffin Cafe. The first painting I did failed, but then I did a 2nd (simpler) painting, doing my best to follow the steps covered in Elio's talk. My "center of interest" is the doorway, my lightest light is the awning over the doorway. I used my first failed painting for reference and made a concerted effort to apply clean color. At the end of the day Elio did a demonstration of Mt. Hood. I had to leave before he was finished, but it was looking perfect. I hope I will get to see it tomorrow.

(Top) Workshop Painting: Celeste Bergin, Puffin Cafe, 2010, Oil on gessoed masonite panel, 8 x 8 inches.








10 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

I love the colors and the linear feel to this one, Celeste. That little wind funnel on top of the cafe is just perfect! I am so drawn to the roof color. Gorgeous!

Susan Roux said...

It looks so fun! Enjoy...

Linda Popple said...

You have introduced me to another artist. I just visited Elio's web site and I love his work. His colors and abstract quality of his paintings are very appealing to me. You are so fortunate to have a workshop with him.

Your painting of Puffin Cafe is great. I like that you described some of your process in your post. Your last post was also fun to look at with its pictures and your paintings. You are obviously learning a lot and having a good time in the process.

SamArtDog said...

The Elio Effect is showing. This Puffin Cafe painting of yours is wonderfully simple and abstract-y. Thanks for sharing the workshop!

Caio Fernandes said...

cool post ... and great colors !!

Manon Doyle said...

Those beautiful blues popped when I saw them on my dashboard. Love the painting!!
Enjoy your workshop, Celeste!!

hwfarber said...

This painting just glows--beautiful.

PAMO said...

Your painting is gorgeous! The green roof is so striking- the colors really sing. And MORE great photos!! I almost feel like I'm there with you. Wonderful!

DJ said...

I'm proud of you for trying a different approach; it's not always easy, but very valuable in the long run.
Enjoy ~

Dan Gliubizzi said...

Yea! Really good Color!