Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 3, Elio Camacho workshop, Location: Wahkeena Falls, OR

It was hot in Portland today, but cool at Wahkeena Falls. I parked my car, got out and heard a really loud "crack" as if a gun went off. Seconds later a big limb hit the pavement right next to where I was standing. If I'd been just a foot this way or that way, the limb could have beaned me in the head! Well, I was spared this calamity, and I stationed myself right next to the bridge at the lower end of the falls. People kept asking me trail questions as if I were a forest service employee. The painting was going well for a long while, then suddenly it tanked. I photographed it (before I scraped it off). Mid day we watched Elio do a demonstration and after that I painted a second painting, a stand of yellow trees. They are too yellow, but they look "happy".





Top oil sketch, Celeste Bergin, 2010 Bright stand of trees, oil on canvas panel 10 x 20, bottom sketch Celeste Bergin, 2020 Wahkeena Falls 8x8 (cropped to 6 x 8)

13 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

That falls sketch is off the hook great! I can't say enough about all your recent posts - wonderful stuff. How do you paint so well at a workshop?

I would happily receive the head stun, if I could oil sketch like you, Celeste.

Tomorrow, wear a helmet.

Quin Sweetman said...

Love your happy trees and the little water scene. Looks like a great workshop!

Carrie H. said...

I'm glad the limb didn't 'tank' you or we'd be scraping you off the pavement. I guess the little Fall painting is the one you scraped. I wish you would give it another 12 hours before you do that.

Dean H. said...

Your happy trees have their heads together...good work. :) ...The fast water painting is very good. Did you really scrap that one?

Glad you weren't beaned.

Linda Popple said...

Love your painting and happy that you lived to paint it!! I also enjoy seeing your photographs, too.

kristina dutton said...

I LOVE the first painting! so amazing! great work!

SamArtDog said...

Looks like Elio's workshop is rubbing off on you. Good! If only you wouldn't rub off paintings.

I really like (not necessarily a good sign) your happy yellow trees.

Is that a stellar jay? Maybe not. What is that, anyway?

PAMO said...

So glad that tree limb missed!! I love your happy trees too.

JacMac said...

Love the Wahkeena Falls sketch, really great brush work giving it an abstract quality.
Happy you avoided the falling limb!

hwfarber said...

Happy Trees--perfect title and great work.

A helmet's not a bad idea.

B Boylan said...

Lions and Tigers and Bears! Glad that tree didn't nail you or you'd have an apple on the head!

Nice work, glad you're posting results for us followers!
Inquiring minds want to know more about that waterfall piece...it's inviting colors had me floored!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, Casey, Quin, Carrie,Dean, Linda, Khristina, Samartdog,PAMO, JacMac, hwfarber and Brenda! Sam, It is a stellar Jay. Hwfarber--hahahah you are so funny. Helmet. hhaha

AutumnLeaves said...

Is the bottom painting in the post the one you scraped, Celeste? I think it was looking fabulous! Love the yellow trees too; just exactly how the sunlight filters through the lighter greens of tree leaves and makes them glow yellow. Beautiful!