Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 4, Elio Camacho workshop, Location: Rooster Rock Park, OR

It was 97 degrees in Portland today, but we were relatively cool at Rooster Rock Park. Elio gave a talk on brushwork, getting us all to think about applying paint with consideration to the underlying structure of whatever we are painting. Rooster Rock is a great spot to paint because we can all set up in a row without being in another painter's way. Almost all of us painted the view of Beacon Rock in the distance. My Beacon Rock seems to be a wrong value, but I like the painting because I was decisive and I avoided over-blending. When I finished that painting I did a quick oil sketch of another painter. Not all that easy to do, because she moved around a lot. I thought I caught some of her gesture and it was a fun break from landscape.
P.S. Thank you all of you who have commented on my work this week..I promise I will be visiting your blog(s) soon. It means a lot to me that you stop by to comment--thanks so much!


(Top) Workshop Painting: Celeste Bergin, Beacon Rock, 2010, Oil on gessoed canvas panel, 12 x 9 inches.
(Bottom) Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Rachel painting, 2010, Oil on gessoed canvas panel, 19 x 12 inches.

9 comments:

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Wonderfull location Celeste, and wonderfull paintings

.Caroline Bray Art said...

I wouldn't use the word 'wrong' for your values. I think they read as an interpretation, as if you're expressing light, mood and temperature. It's an interpretation I really like and I wouldn't change it. The brushwork in the sky works wonders to give an idea of expanse and distance. It's all great stuff Celeste!

AutumnLeaves said...

That kind of heat is unusual for the northwest and one of the reasons I loved it up there (the lack of extreme heat, that is). We're getting blasted with similar temps accompanied by such high humidity that it is simply miserable outside. Makes me long for a pool, I tell you! Anyway, I love the glassy smoothness of the foreground waters. I've seen a bit of different style of brush strokes coming through some of the pieces in this workshop you are taking, Celeste. So interesting to see that such an accomplished artist still struggles with concepts and techniques (not that I see that in your work, but from reading your words). Life is so much more interesting when we are always open to learning, yes?

Susan Roux said...

Its a powerful composition. I like the blues, they seem to glow.

Keep having fun at the workshop!

DJ said...

Wow, I love "Rachel Painting" ! You caught a wonderful gesture and attitude from a moving model, so pat yourself on the back, kid!
I think it may be my fave of the pieces this week...
Congrats on all your hard work this week.

hwfarber said...

This is amazingly beautiful.

I took a long ride today and saw lots of trees, cemeteries, water, falling-down houses, horses, backs of buildings, and rows of tobacco with barns. I found myself thinking: I could drop Celeste in any of these places and she'd "see" a beautiful painting (but it is 100 degrees here in southern VA).

Sandra Longmore said...

Thanks for sharing the workshop. You do a great job of keeping us all informed. Love both of your paintings.

Pam Flanders said...

Thanks for sharing this workshop update. My favorite so far is W. Falls! Very nice, you captured the essence. Looks like a great workshop. You have a gift for painting AND journaling. Thanks once again!

daviddrawsandpaints said...

A stunning painting of Beacon Rock, Celeste, and also the oil sketch of your fellow student, although I think you are definitely much more than a student - you should be giving the classes!