Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 1, Elio Camacho workshop, Location: Women's Forum in Corbett

It was unseasonably cold at the Women's Forum in Corbett today. There was a steady stream of tourists throughout the day, but they didn't disrupt us much, milling around behind the wood fence that separated us. Elio started our day with a demonstration. He emphasized directional strokes, temperature, color relationships, perspective, creative expression and the use of plenty of paint. I know I have said it before, but it is remarkable how Elio gets around to each student and tailors instruction to where the student is. Elio told me candidly that my work can sometimes look scratched and scrubbed in. "Place one stroke down next to another without scratching it onto the surface", he said. I spent the rest of the day emulating a solid deliberate stroke...sometimes successful, sometimes not. Truthfully, it is much harder than you'd think..because in order to be deliberate clear decisions have to be in mind prior to placing the paint on the canvas. I had to leave a little early, so I didn't get to see Elio's evening demonstration. Maybe I will get to see the results tomorrow. Never pass up an opportunity to take a workshop with Elio if you get a chance--you'll never regret it!




(Top) Workshop Painting: Celeste Bergin, Gorge from Women's Forum, 2010, Oil on canvas panel, 12 x 12 inches.
(Middle) Workshop Painting: Celeste Bergin, Gorge from Women's Forum II, 2010, Oil on canvas panel, 7 x 5 inches.
(Bottom) Workshop Painting: Celeste Bergin, Gorge from Women's Forum III, 2010, Oil on canvas panel, 14 x 11 inches.

8 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

I just love that top painting, Celeste. The colors, the almost wispy feel to the piece in whole...I think maybe a new favorite of mine. There is just a sweet serenity to this one that ensnares me.

DJ said...

Sounds like a wonderful day of painting and fresh air, despite the temps!

diffident.bother said...

Looks like the rather chilly weather was worth it! These are beautiful paintings. I love the colors.

hwfarber said...

Three gorgeous Gorge paintings and I enjoyed the slide show.

Carol Anne Brown said...

I really like the piece you have posted at the top. Has a rich but quiet feel to it. Love the flash presentation from the workshop too. Great job. Looks like a lively affair.

Sigh. I just can't get myself inspired to do plein air --which is just about all pastelists do these days. I'd be hard pressed to take a sandwich out there, never mind all my equipment! I would, however, spend hours on location with a camera...and a sandwich.

PAMO said...

What a remarkable teacher! Someone who can give you such direct feedback- that is so incredibly valuable. And it shows that he really took the time to study your work.
Your paintings today are all gorgeous. I just love Celeste how you continue to grow and learn and stretch yourself as an artist. As it should be!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Wow! You did a lot in one day!! Elio is always inspiring and it looks like day one started off with a BANG!!

Dean H. said...

Sounds like a great workshop, Celeste! Really like the Forum III painting. I've heard that before: look and study before applying the next stroke. Slows ya down but adds greatly to the art...definite strokes...no fudging around. :)