Saturday, July 31, 2010

Establishing darks---and thoughts about next week





When I painted this painting I had the good sense to photograph some of the steps..the sequence shows how establishing strong darks early will "carry the day". A good dark design that is merged together is something that many early great artists consistently employed. This is one of three of my paintings that is going to be in the Art in the Heart of Multnomah Village exhibit. The exhibit is at the Multnomah Arts Center and will be from August 6-September 1. 7688 Southwest Capitol Highway, Portland, OR 97219-2489, (503) 823-2787 Reception: Friday, August 6, 7-9pm. Reception August 6, 6-8pm.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, At O'Connor's, 2010, Oil on canvas panel 20x16

9 comments:

DJ said...

Beautifully rendered...the female in 3/4 view is more interesting than a profile...thanks for sharing your process.

AutumnLeaves said...

This piece is awesome, Celeste. Sometimes I run out of superlatives as every piece you do is amazing to my eyes. Hoping you enjoy and have much success at your upcoming shows!

Susan Roux said...

This is exactly what Don Hatfield was teaching us. I'm now trying to work this way, but must say, its very difficult to think so much while painting! Hopefully it will come easier in time. The benefits are huge. Nice job Celeste.

Art with Liz said...

Love it Celeste and thank you for the reminder about establishing those darks first!

June said...

Great painting, Celeste. I really think you've captured it.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Celeste! Your figures are always so expressive. I just want to strike up a conversation with them. Will they be ordering Joe's special with grits? Will Cherrie remember that he likes extra cream with his coffee?

hwfarber said...

I should learn to establish darks at the beginning--it certainly makes sense. Great painting.

Good luck with all your shows. (Please videotape the ease of setting up that white tent.)

Carrie H. said...

Great interaction of these two figures.

Linda Popple said...

Great painting, Celeste. Establishing your value pattern first with the darks does work - I just need to remember to do it. Thanks for sharing your process. I always learn from other artists. Your painting is really interesting with the figures and their interaction. Well done!

Congratulations on your exhibit! Wish I could see your work in person. I'm sure it's wonderful.