Friday, July 9, 2010

Final day, Elio Camacho workshop, Location: Rooster Rock Park (II), OR

It's Day 5, our final workshop day. We returned to Rooster Rock Park. Elio's morning lecture covered "triangulation," a system of measurements to get accurate shapes onto the canvas. Most everyone stayed to paint amongst the trees, but I moved to yesterday's view of Beacon Rock. The scene looked quite a bit more high key today. I did a small study. I meant to do another larger version based on this, but I had to leave early to drive back to Portland to deliver paintings to Pittock Mansion (exhibit beginning July 16).
I like what one of the workshop participants said to Elio: "This workshop just blew me away, she said, I had no idea that I could possibly learn so much from you in one week." Elio is popular with artists because he doesn't dumb anything down for you, he zooms in like a laser on things that need improvement and he gives credit where credit is due. He'll be staying over in Oregon for awhile longer and I hope to paint with him again in Hillsboro. He seems to like Oregon as much as we like him, so he'll also be back next year.

(Top) Workshop Painting: Celeste Bergin, Beacon Rock II, 2010, Oil on gessoed canvas panel, 12 x 9 inches.

7 comments:

-Don said...

Congrats on a successful workshop. I'm really glad you had fun. I've enjoyed watching your work go by over the past few days. Good luck on your upcoming show. Sell, sell, sell...

-Don

Casey Klahn said...

For the world who don't know the gorge first hand, it is an awe inspiring, and overwhelming place visually. What you've done here, Celeste, is show your strong ability to capture it as if it were a walk in the park. You rock.

Thanks for the slide show, too. It tells the story.

AutumnLeaves said...

As much as I loved your piece yesterday, Celeste, I think I like this one even more. The edges are softer which gives a look of greater distance and hazy summer skies. Still, you have that movement in the water, which I love. I think this is just perfect!!

padmaja said...

Celeste, It was really educative and interesting to go through all the posts of this wonderful workshop..I do dream of getting such an opportunity to hone my skills!

DJ said...

Celeste, sounds like you had a great time in your painting workshop. Enjoy the rest of your summer.

hwfarber said...

It's hard to decide between Day 4 and Day 5's paintings.

Looks like you're already a winner at Pittock Mansion--congratulations.

Suzanne said...

Thanks,Celeste, for the review of Elio's workshop. It sounds and appears very impressive. So many gorgeous settings and lovely paintings done by you! I wrote down some of the suggestions you had from Elio's teaching. Beautiful!