Saturday, July 24, 2010

Meeting up with the Portland Urban Sketchers




Today I met up with the Portland Urban Sketchers at the Lone Fir Cemetery. I learned something about a specific stone that has always intrigued me. It is the most magnificent old stone, a huge ornate Celtic cross. The story goes that the name of the departed was deliberately eradicated because the deceased's sister was offended by the circumstances surrounding the donation of the monument. (The deceased was a prostitute and the stone had been installed by her patrons). It is one of the most unusual and pretty monuments in the entire cemetery, but there is no name on it. A pair of clasped hands also adorn the tombstone...one finger points down....presumably to indicate sin.

(Top) Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Macleay Mausoleum, watercolor & ink on paper
2nd Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Nameless Monument (Celtic cross), watercolor & ink on paper
3rd Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Handshake with extra message, graphite on paper
(Bottom) Sketch: Celeste Bergin, at home here, watercolor & ink on paper

(Click photos to enlarge)









10 comments:

Todd Smith said...

Your groups do such interesting things- and I especially like your free and easy watercolor and ink sketches.

AutumnLeaves said...

Awww, did you do this post for me??? LOL You know I love cemeteries and I am intrigued by the story of the prostitute. Sometimes I wish there were better records for stories like this one; just so you can find the facts and separate them from the rumors! LOL But still, I find myself wondering at how "good" this lady must have been if her patrons chose to remember her for all eternity! (Gulp; can't believe I just said that.) Love each of these sketches, Celeste. The little church in the top one sets the mood of the place just perfectly!

DJ said...

Beautiful sketches...

SKIZO said...

Fascinating work.
It has been delightful
to visit your gallery.
Good Creations

hwfarber said...

Love the story about the monument to the woman who was GIB. Great sketches from a cemetery.

PAMO said...

What an interesting monument! Every time I see your sketches, I want to rush right out and do one. Really I do!!

Marie Wise said...

I've always wanted to paint some gravestones. There just seems so much life in a cemetary, as if the long-lost departed are watching from somewhere, in a good way. I think they'd like someone to paint their grave marker.

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

The mausoleum sketch is excellent!

Cathleen Rehfeld said...

Love your story AND the sketches! she must have made those patrons happy...

Dan Kent said...

I cannot begin to tell you how much I love the syrupy blending of your first watercolor, as contrasted with the linear ink in the fence and the building. Wow! I also love the crow/raven? on the post - an eerie composition.