Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Overlooking the Blue Heron Paper Mill in Oregon City

After our PPASP breakfast meeting today Carrie & I met up with some painting friends in Oregon City. There were beautiful shapes everywhere below us. I sketched a few drums, vats, smoke stacks and other important looking thingamajigs . My aim was to ultimately paint something of the Blue Heron Paper Mill, but I started a painting of a house next to our location instead. My colors/values are off, but there were things I liked about the painting anyway. I'll go back to that same spot soon--I was interested in the Paper Company and how steam belched into the sky. Doesn't a smoke stack make you think of all the great WPA art?

(Top) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Oregon City House, 2010, Oil on stretched canvas 10 x 10 inches.
(Bottom) Sketches: Celeste Bergin, Blue Heron Paper Mill, 2010, Ink & pencil on 9 x 6 paper











9 comments:

AutumnLeaves said...

Celeste, you are just. so. good.! I love this little cottage-y looking home. You've lent it an air of romantic timelessness that I adore! I want to move right in! Smoke stacks always make me think of the industrial revolution and I always go back to Victorian times in my head when I see them. Odd turn of thought, I s'pose. But then I'm nothing if not odd! LOLOLOL

Susan Roux said...

Such rich colors in your little house. I like it.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

Your sketches are really fine, Celeste!

PAMO said...

A gorgeous house!! I love it Celeste. Great photos too. WOW!

Linda Popple said...

As always I like your photos and commentary on what is going on. Your little blue cottage is very nice and your sketches are, too. I can understand why these scenes appeal to you. Very nice!

SamArtDog said...

Your sketches and the photos make me think of what an "urban painter' like Bill Wray would do with industry in the woods.

I like the aerial perspective and especially the photo of the falls. I also like how your sox match your hat.

Art with Liz said...

I seriously can't see anything wrong with this gorgeous little cottage/house. It has such character. And thank you so much for the advice - done and will be reposted soon.

hwfarber said...

Yes, smokestacks remind me of the WPA. Nice cottage--looks good to me.

Marian Fortunati said...

Love those sketches!!!