Thursday, July 1, 2010

Sketching while an obnoxious man relentlessly stared at me


I stopped in a coffee shop today. It is somewhat rare for me to alone in an environment like that..but I welcomed the time to just sit by myself with a nice cup of coffee and a scone. I had my sketchbook with me and my "Elegant Writer" pen (you have to get one of these!) I admired a stylized sign that hung over a store..the sign had something to do with shoes. I was beginning my 2nd sketch, a big potted plant and a chair when I felt eyes on me. Isn't it funny that we can feel a person looking at us? I just wanted to sketch and be solitary...but the man stared holes through me. I was stubborn, not even glancing his way. After a while he even went so far as to stand in front of the pot I was drawing! Oooookay, a quick glance verified I don't know him...so I started writing in longhand to appear deep in thought. Dude, can't you see I am now "journaling" or composing poetry?..buzz off!
I wish I had a punch line to all this, something along the lines of "and then suddenly I realized it was so n so who I've met many times before..haha, isn't that funny?!" but I reached no such conclusion. If I would have had the nerve I would have said "take a picture, it will last longer!" Alright, done venting.
What did you do today? Was what you did anything "artful"?




11 comments:

SamArtDog said...

Oh, ICK!

-Don said...

ICK!, indeed...

I had breakfast with old friends who happen to be the morning anchors I did the "Wake Up" mask for. They autographed it for me and it will now be auctioned for charity. It was a wonderful hour of catching up and planning for the future. I then spent the rest of the day preparing for tomorrow's downtown art show, First Friday. I didn't get any painting done, oh well, maybe this weekend...

Well, you asked...

-Don

Kerri Settle said...

Poor Celeste! Some people are real winners. Who knows what goes through their heads when they act like that. Hopefully you won't run into him again!

DJ said...

Creepy...Did he ever leave?
Lovely ink work, btw...

AutumnLeaves said...

Eek! I do hate when people stare! Hope you didn't cave and acknowledge him! Anyway, I love the sketches! I have a pen and inkwell set that I haven't opened yet. I'm afraid I don't know how to use it (it was sent as a gift) and I'd really like to give it a go as I would love to get a similar effect as this. 'Course, I'm rather afraid to do anything in ink without doing it in pencil first (so I can erase my mistakes! LOLOL)...By the way, if I haven't said it, these are quite fabulous sketches!

ArtSparker said...

Yesterday upon the stair
I met a man who wasn't there
He was there again today-
I wish that man would go away.

Linda Popple said...

That's certainly creepy! Glad you are safe and sound!

hwfarber said...

Maybe he went home and painted a beautiful portrait of you.

I've not had the nerve to sketch in public--I'm working up to it. Nice work.

PAMO said...

As an artist you have an intuitive sense about things- and it sounds as if you handled it just right. I suppose it's fascinating to see a lovely woman composing art- so forgive him his stare.
Your sketches are lovely too and I wish I could go have coffee with you and sketch. We could talk about Dave and Jeff....

Tina Steele Lindsey said...

Cracking me up! I love this post! You should have said, "Mr., you don't want me to sketch you, I sketch criminals for the police."

Suzanne said...

Isn't it interesting how we can "feel" when someone stares. Journaling certainly fits in with behavior at coffee shops these days.
Who knows why he's staring. If voices are talking in his head? Years ago when spending time in big cities on my own, I learned the survival technique of becoming slighty manic, with "hallucinations" and talking to myself. You would be amazed how people start stepping away from you rather than pushing your boundries. Even in recent years ( being so much older) when approached in an uncomfortable way on the fringes of Pearl District, I pulled my old technique out of my sleeve.
After all, we want to be able to just create our art.