Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Stroke for stroke..an exercise in applying paint

A while back Michael Orwick told me that he painted a painting while watching Elio Camacho paint (in real time). Michael painted the same composition with similar colors, attempting to match what Elio did "stroke for stroke." It's an idea that intrigued me.. an exercise in brushwork and paint application. I got a chance to try it for myself today when I met up with Elio at Laurelhurst Park.

I set up next to Elio and tried to emulate everything he did as he did it (of course, I asked for permission first). It was a superb learning experience, one that I would love to repeat (possibly somewhere where there is not so much green!)

"Our" subject was a red tree and the pond. (Side note: the pond is so green because of excessive algae, but it is scheduled to be restored this year).
You can see from the photos that I assigned too much chroma to my version. This painting is way different from my style, but I got a great feel for applying extra paint. Why is it important for an artist to be generous with paint? Because viewers sense fear when they see a thinly painted painting. A bold thicker stroke reads confidently.

Elio's workshops always have an added bonus.. anyone interested in burning the candle at both ends can stay and paint till sunset or just sit back and watch. (He's not just generous with paint..he's generous with time). Elio is painting this weekend (as a non-competitive painter) in the Hillsboro Plein Air Event.
Find out more about it here.

Lesson Painting: Celeste Bergin, Laurelhurst Tree & Pond, 2010, Oil on canvas panel 11 x 14 inches.






Mark Larsen (in a GREEN shirt) painted at Laurelhurst too!

7 comments:

-Don said...

Sweet! Those colors are right up my alley, sister! What a cool opportunity and how generous of you to share. I like that quote "...viewers sense fear when they see a thinly painted painting." Those are some good words to live by.

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

What a neat idea and such a cool painting!! Well done, Celeste; so interesting to see you emulate the style/strokes of another artist. P. S., If I don't read occasionally, I doubt I would ever paint at all! LOL I get so angst ridden over my art that I have to step away for a day or two to try to relax a bit - which I do with a book or three! LOLOL

Elizabeth Seaver said...

What an amazing opportunity and love the results. Funny remark about wanting to paint when there is less green! A hard color, no doubt!

You are an example to all of us in your quest to learn, experience new ways of painting and grow. Thanks for sharing!

Linda Popple said...

I am so impressed that you find unique ways to learn. Thanks for sharing as I think we all learn from each other.

I like your painting. The colors are intense and the energy is evident in your brush strokes. Well done!

SamArtDog said...

Aha! Caught green-handed! Evidence of fearless paint-loading.

I like an abundance of chroma when it's balanced cool4cool and hot4hot. Evidence of a color junkie.

PAMO said...

It's a gorgeous painting! I never sense fear in your work Celeste. NEVER!!

Sue Smith said...

what a wonderful experience - and an interesting take on painting thinly. I always learn so much from your blog and I appreciate your generosity in sharing.