Sunday, July 18, 2010

Transformative


A while back I visited the Seattle Art Museum with friends. I studied a landscape that had been turned on it's side.. a graphic face was painted over the scene. The card next to the painting indicated that this particular artist would buy paintings from stores like Goodwill and then "find" another scene in it to highlight. The artist left much of the original painting intact but painted his own addition on top. (I wish I'd made it a point to remember the artist's name!).

I used a wood panel for a palette recently for acrylics. Tonight I "saw" a face in the old dried up paint and I painted it on top of the palette...(thinking of that Seattle Art Museum painting for inspiration).


Celeste Bergin, What appears, 2010, Oil over acrylic palette,l 8 x 10 inches

10 comments:

-Don said...

Hmmmm.... a palette of leftover paint used to create a finished piece... I seem to remember someone doing something similar of late... ;-)

This turned out really cool. I love it!

-Don

AutumnLeaves said...

This is fabulous, Celeste! What a cool idea too. Love the colors you chose; for some reason I was reminded of a portrait I saw on David Lobenberg's blog yesterday. I think the colors...

PAMO said...

WOW Celeste! A different work for you yet reminiscent of your over paintings. I always enjoy seeing how you handle the canvas. If you ever decide to teach painting workshops- I think you have tons to offer.

SamArtDog said...

Once again, you make recycling such a beautiful thing!

ArtSparker said...

It's fun, isn't it? Like layers of history.

Todd Smith said...

VERY interesting! (and successful)I wish I could have seen the painting before reworking- to compare.

hwfarber said...

I sometimes buy frames from Good Will with paintings attached. Whenever I've considered painting over them, I think: Wait--that painting might be worth more than mine. I have a shed full of signed but lousy works--no Jackson Pollacks, though. Nice work.

Trevor Lingard said...

Hi Celeste
I like this work.
There is much character in the image.
Kind Regards

Dan Kent said...

Very cool idea - reminds me of, hmmmmm, Don!

Linda Popple said...

Celeste, you are so much fun! I love this with its abstract quality and colors. Well done!